The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Plate vs Twin Plate clutch

Gpro

Multiplate clutches are lighter but noisy and can be very on / off in engagement.

I run an OS Giken twin plate and with the peddle down its sounds broken, can also be a mission in heavy traffic as they dont like being slipped. I wouldnt advise one for a daily driver. There are plenty of single plate options available to hold decent torque, most of which have been tried by members on here.

multiplate clutches are lighter but noisy and can be very on / off in engagement.

I run an os giken twin plate and with the peddle down its sounds broken, can also be a mission in heavy traffic as they dont like being slipped. I wouldnt advise one for a daily driver. There are plenty of single plate options available to hold decent torque, most of which have been tried by members on here.

yep :)

The clutch I've just bought from DC-Automotive is a stage 4 which is a sprung disc and rated to 765 ft/lb, the strange 5 is unsprung and rated to something like 925 ft/lb, which is way way more than anyone on here could ever need. As said, there way cheaper than multi-plate clutches with no noise if you use a stock dual mass flywheel. I can't comment on the pedal feel though as its not fitted yet. It's something I can deal with to get away from the horrendous plate chatter of multi plates.

I know the RPS street max clutches are a very heavy pedal but hold iirc 800 ft/lb.

Its more a question for CW but I assume the crank walk is due to pressure plates being way to heavy and shunting the crank :search:

I spoke to Chris about this yesterday when I dropped my engine off funny enough. He explained that most damage was done when starting a single plate clutch with heavy clamping force with the clutch pedal depressed, as there's no lubrication there for the thrust bearings on start up, which eventually wears through the thrust bearing and either into the crank itself or the block.

He also commented on your personal Setup of your supra, saying that in his opinion your got it spot on with a perfect setup.