The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Had a small scare

scott87

Im not looking for a discussion on how fast my car is or anything like that but i was just looking for peoples experience if this is a normal reaction. I was out for a drive and was taking it quite leisurely. Anyway i came to a junction in the middle of nowhere and decided to give it the beans in a straight line as ive not pushed the Supra hard yet as i wanted to do the major service on her first.

ok so i built the revs up and pulled away in first, took it nearly to red line about 600rpm below and changed into second. I then wheel span for ages in second and had to change into third to stop it, thinking back could've lifted off. The road was nearly completely dry and there wasn't anything on it, my tyres are pretty good too.

Im running a pretty stock na, just wondering if i should expect this when hoofing it in second.....

Sounds odd for an N/A to wheel spin

I take it that it was dry? Diesel, ice, grease, varnish, sand, etc - one of them :)

Yer i know they dont have stacks of torque so i was expecting to just wizz down the road.

I couldn't see anything, i turned around and came back the same way and the road seemed fine. I was more just curious whether i shouldn't push it that hard, say if i did get caught in one of those traffic light scenarios.

I know i know. It must just have been a freak coincidence, maybe slightly low tread and the road condition. But i was just checking to see if it *should* happen for future safe driving.

Mine* will only chirp slightly even if I get almost to the limiter in first, then lift off the clutch fast in 2nd.

I assume there was something on the road making it unusually greasy.

*TT, not NA.

Mine will only chirp slightly even if I get almost to the limiter in first, then lift off the clutch fast in 2nd.

I assume there was something on the road making it unusually greasy.

Cool thanks. It just surprised me a LOT! As i said wanted to check to make sure i watched it in the future. Or maybe i have an uber fast n/a :giveup:

Ok my cars a 400 ish hp auto with lsd and i can bury the go peddle in the

carpet and get very little wheel spin on a bone dry non slip rd.

What tyres do you have on the rear and what pressures are they ?

Their not nankang no grips with 60 psi in them are they ? :D

I can only think its due to you having an open diff perhaps

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Cool thanks. It just surprised me a LOT! As i said wanted to check to make sure i watched it in the future. Or maybe i have an uber fast n/a :giveup:

I was stopped next to a car at the lights on the way back from work yesterday and the roads were damp. The kid in the back was going mad and waving at me, so I decided to take off a bit fast. Ended up just spinning the wheels, but as soon as I let off a bit, it gripped and went :)

compaired to a bpu TT you wont mate, on a slighlty damp road at 80mph you can still get a auto to spin up in a straight line just by planting your right foot it kicks down straight into the power band

Ok my cars a 400 ish hp auto with lsd and i can bury the go peddle in the

carpet and get very little wheel spin on a bone dry non slip rd.

What tyres do you have on the rear and what pressures are they ?

Their not nankang no grips with 60 psi in them are they ? :D

I can only think its due to you having an open diff perhaps

No i have continentals on it, i know not the best but they are better than a lot of tyres. All up to pressure.

Either way glad it was the road, means i know i should have the grip there next time :-D

No i have continentals on it, i know not the best but they are better than a lot of tyres. All up to pressure.

Either way glad it was the road, means i know i should have the grip there next time :-D

never under estimate a supra you do and it will put you in a hedge backwards before you know it N/A or not

compaired to a bpu TT you wont mate, on a slighlty damp road at 80mph you can still get a auto to spin up in a straight line just by planting your right foot it kicks down straight into the power band

(Or maybe i have an uber fast n/a :giveup:)

A tentative joke, hence the surrender flag....

I think wheelspin is impossible in an NA ;)

You don't know how to use the power dude! :) Do you have shot tires? That would explain it, poor set up will make anything wheels spin, even our works van and that's got as much power as a tricycle.

Edit just read the other comments about tyres. Poor road surface then.

You don't know how to use the power dude! :) Do you have shot tires? That would explain it, poor set up will make anything wheels spin, even our works van and that's got as much power as a tricycle.

Edit just read the other comments about tyres. Poor road surface then.

No tyres are good like i said. Ive had a much bigger power car before same age and rear wheel drive. :p That i expected it to spin a lot. Going with the other guys theory something on the road that i didnt notice.

Edit - Just saw your edit, i agree with you too!