The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Roll cage or no roll cage?

Parry_10

Ive been thinking over the past few weeks about getting a roll cage for the car. Im planning on doing a few quater mile runs and trackdays but it will be driven as a street car mostly. Im now starting to think having a roll cage seems abit pointless...

The shell is pretty much all carbon fibre inc the doors so would be nice to have door bars there. Ive read up quite abit on it and most people say having one for a street car is more dangerous because of the risk of head injury.

What do you guys think?

Swings and roundabouts, it could save you and could kill you, a cage is meant to used with a

harness and a crash helmet which everyday on the rd are a pain in the ass

+1

I know someone who survived a car crash because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt! I'd say if you're predominantly using it on track, then get it caged up! ISPs she's mainly a road car, then go without.

I have a rear cage, but I only really put that in as I have an aerotop, and fancied a little more roll protection. :)

Also, stiffened the arse of my car up a treat :) I need to stiffen the front up with a strut brace and maybe some sort of clever bracing to match.

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

I have a cage in mine and I am yet to make it to a track.

The cage is padded in all the right places and I have 5 point harnesses and Recaro Pole Position buckets to stop too much movement!

It is a cusco type bolt in and I am yet to fit the door bars. It has made the car noticeably stiffer, most noticed when jacking the car for a wheel change. This must be good for the track.

The front section is quite intrusive though. Sun visors have to be down permanently and it is more difficult for my largish feet getting in and out.

With hindsight I would go for just a rear section if I was doing again or a full weld in FIA spec one.

Edit: no change to my insurance as it is already insured as a rally car with mods declared but not actually required. Competition Car Insurance.

Cheers for the responses guys, as my interior is stripped at the minute and the dash is out I am looking to have a custom cage which wont get in the way like your usuall bolt in cages and goes through the dash and doesnt drop down before it. Jamie had a cusco in the car before and Lee of srd did a great job customizing it for him so id be looking to do the same. Its just finding one thats the problem has to come from Japan, which is why im thinking of having one completely custom made.

I'd keep the cage if its already in. Nobody expects to roll the car. There is at least one member on here (forgot name) that has flipped the car on the drag strip.

Stuart. But it wasn't really a Supra; just a Supra shell on a 100% replaced, drag-car chassis.