The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whats my options in gearboxes?

FOSTA

Im just about to start my second build, im picking another engine up this weekend and im aiming for around 600+bhp.

this will be a build that i will be taking my time with as i want to do everything myself.

so my question is whats my options in gearboxes? i have a na autobox in at the moment but that is already being pushed near to its limits.

would a tt auto box be ok for 600bhp? (im thinking not, but unsure)

ive been looking at a 6speed but is there any outher options?

thanks in advance FOSTA ;)

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

R154?

I looked at 350z gearbox's back along, but a waste of time. Maybe another car's gearbox. With the variation of gearbox's on the market and the ability to get custom prop's and bellhousings adapted, it seems crazy there isn't a box out there cheaper than a 160 that coud be used/

Can buy my V160 box if you want nudge nudge wink wink etc ;)

But yeah I have heard the TT auto box's holding 550/600 going on for years, safest option is really a V160/161 box but depends how much your willing to spend. Wouldn't bother with the R154 option either, it works out almost as expensive as going for a 6 speed in the end really, so what's the point?

Dr Jekyll has one of David P's hybrid autoboxes for sale and if I remeber correctly it managed to hold over 500 lbs of torque fine on his setup

- - - Updated - - -

Here in Poland we have a lot of drifters who puts BMW gearboxes and running 5/6xx HP.

I'll be fitting one in my car (Getrag 260 - 5speed). As soon as my car will be running I'll be able to give some feedback.

Any idea of what else is needed to fit one? :)

Oh I didn't think the TT auto box could manage that sort of power that's fantastic news.

Yeah I knew it would require extra coolers but that's easy to sort out.

I'll do abit more research then I think I might start looking for a low mileage TT auto unless a 6speed comes in at a steal ;)

Thanks guys :thumbs:

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

Oh I didn't think the TT auto box could manage that sort of power that's fantastic news.

Yeah I knew it would require extra coolers but that's easy to sort out.

I'll do abit more research then I think I might start looking for a low mileage TT auto unless a 6speed comes in at a steal ;)

Thanks guys :thumbs:

As long as it's mapped properly to drop the torque you shouldn't have a problem with the power your looking at :) (obviously combined with coolers)

Now the autobox is a little more reliable (or should I say the limits/weaknesses are really known) I'm tempted to keep my auto when i go single as I love it (despite me having a 6 speed waiting to go in lol)