The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Let's talk AEM ECU's

Noz

So, made a few calls today about getting a re-map with my new toys. Main point of conversation was if Im going standalone at ANY point, a remap is wasting money. So, brings me to consider the new AEM v2 (I think its called).

Brand new, out the box and installed. I take it these can control boost solonoids as well so boost controller wouldn't be needed?

Should I buy a 2nd hand unit, and save pennies?

All advice welcome.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AEM V2 is suppose to be far superior then their first version and it too has lots of safety features...! it is by far the most popular stand alone ecu so easy to find mappers which is the reason which I am going down that road...! A lot of race cars are running AEM V2 now and is considered on par to MOTEC these days...! Though if I was in the UK I would go for a Syvecs simply because Ryan would be mapping it and he has tons of supra tunning knowledge..!

Another good thing about the AEM is that there is no need to have any additional sensors the unit uses all the factories sensors, which means a lot less clutter and less electronic issues in the future....!

For a NA-T I would use a Link G3 LEM. You can pick them up for £300 second hand and they are more than adequate and you even get Boost control, anti lag, flat shift and Launch control. If you can live with the less than billiard table smooth idle (grouped injection) it's a stonkin bit of kit for the money.

Lyndon.

Another good thing about the AEM is that there is no need to have any additional sensors the unit uses all the factories sensors, which means a lot less clutter and less electronic issues in the future....!

That would be one reason NOT to use the AEM, the factory sensors are somewhat built to a budget, the stock knock sensors etc are far inferior to what the syvecs uses, its like O2 sensors, you can buy a cheap generic one for £40 or spend 1000's on a lab quality one. As an example with your stock oil pressure light and sensor, if you see it then its prob too late.

That would be one reason NOT to use the AEM, the factory sensors are somewhat built to a budget, the stock knock sensors etc are far inferior to what the syvecs uses, its like O2 sensors, you can buy a cheap generic one for £40 or spend 1000's on a lab quality one. As an example with your stock oil pressure light and sensor, if you see it then its prob too late.

I've been searching for a while and I am yet to read any thing negative about the AEM V2....! Being the most popular after market ecu used in the world, surely they must know what they are talking about...!

I've been searching for a while and I am yet to read any thing negative about the AEM V2....! Being the most popular after market ecu used in the world, surely they must know what they are talking about...!

Seen and had too many problems with the AEM's to even consider using one, AEM stands for Affordable Engine Management, we have a similar brand here, Happy Shopper!

Its a US forum dude, they pretty much only have the choice of 3 ecu's Haltech, AEM and Motec, the last of which is massively expensive to have fully unlocked. IMO the syvecs is way ahead of these in a value for money aspect and safety aspect, second choice would be a F-Con

Seen and had too many problems with the AEM's to even consider using one, AEM stands for Affordable Engine Management, we have a similar brand here, Happy Shopper!

Im so glad that it doesn't matter what I buy for my car, if it's not plated with Gold it gets slated. Its NA, with an XS turbo, and a Happy Shopper AEM ECU in the pipeline, I might as well scrap it. Maybe I'm looking for something in my price range I don't want to re-morgage when I can do it for less for what I want out of my car.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)