The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water Ingress on rear seat bench.

Stevo

Hi all,

Got an annoying issue at the minute with water collecting on the rear bench of the car (under the actual seat). This is only happening on the drivers side.

I've just come back from holiday yesterday and the sound proofing (closed cell foam on top of dynomat) I've got on there was sopping wet. I removed the foam and dried everything up before nipping out for some groceries then parking up for the night. At the point of leaving it for the night all was dry.

However, I have woken up this morning to find a few mm of standing water there again - there has been overnight rain. The really odd thing is though, there is no sign what so ever of water in any other place - eg, drip marks coming froming the head liner above or signs of water running in through window seals etc.

I've noticed today that there is a small rubber grommet in that area that I had put dynamat and foam over the top of. Could I possibly have covered some sort of 'breather' hole???

Anyone had this happen or get any ideas what it might be?

Cheers

Steve

Taste the water, make sure it's rain water and not screen wash.

Will do. Is there any reason why screen wash would end up there though? I can't see any washer pipes routed near there....

I have thought about the condensation side of things as the warm interior after using it, coupled with the now colder temperatures would perhaps cause this, especially if I've inadvertently blocked up a breather hole.

I'm going to leave a cardboard box upturned over the area tonight and see if the top of the box is wet or whether water has just collected underneath it!

Quarter light windows.

I've had the same problem, although I was also getting a damp seat belt and carpet behind the front seat. I remember looking through old threads and finding that the most common problem was with the quarter light windows not sealing, and so when I stripped mine down I found water had also been collecting under the rear bench.

Thought I'd gotten to the bottom of this as I uncovered the small rubber grommit that had the soundproofing over it and I've not had any issues for a week. Unfortunately, there was another small pool this morning on the rear bench :(

I guess on the plus side, I could make out a water-trail today where it seems to have been running down from somewhere in the boot/rear hatch area, so that should hopefully help diagnose where its coming from. Will get the blind and carpet etc all pulled out when I get a chance in some daylight hours.