The mkiv Supra Owners Club

manual/auto

Guest Rsand85

Guest Rsand85

Ok folks after a bit of advice here i have been offered a very nice n/a aerotop at a very good price only thing is its an auto.i have had 3 manual Supras but never driven an auto just wondered what like they are to drive and what peoples thoughts are?my problem is there's no supras anywhere near where i live and the car is about a days drive away.just a bit far for a test drive.cheers

Ok folks after a bit of advice here i have been offered a very nice n/a aerotop at a very good price only thing is its an auto.i have had 3 manual Supras but never driven an auto just wondered what like they are to drive and what peoples thoughts are?my problem is there's no supras anywhere near where i live and the car is about a days drive away.just a bit far for a test drive.cheers

Theres loads of threads on this dude have a search.

Personally the auto in my tt is mint in a strieght line and for traffic but in the twistys i would love a manual

very subjective............

If you don't really use the manual that much and by use I mean T junction or roundabout oversteer moments then you should be ok with it. The Na's lower power and the box having only 4 speeds means you can find yourself a bit of a flat spot sometimes, 2nd redlines near 60mph I think? so great for overtaking real 40mph dawdlers but can be/seem a little flat at 55mph in 3rd.........do you cruise on by or drop down to 2nd for a second or so at max revs?

I have a facelift aero NA auto at present and am fine with it after having all other tranmission/engine combo's just don't expect the earth........without saying it's dull per se, it is the most dull of all the supra setups, no doubt not helped by the additional aerotop weight.

Saying that if the box is in good condition it has no annoyances or quirks ie no excessive shifting up or down even when just in drive, it's not hard to live with at all, its relaxing and capable but obviously limits some aspects of sportiness.

I have never driven a manual supra so cannot compare as such. The auto is very nice to drive, smooth gear changes, relaxing in traffic, pretty quick in a straight line of course. Only downside is that the kick down is a bit slow. I have a triptronic and when in manual it takes about a second or so to change the gear, but it's easy to judge when you have to press the button. So not the best for rapid/sudden manual gear changes.

I would like to own a manual supra but I don't feel like I am missing out because I have an auto.

I have a NA auto aero top (now NA-T) and I love the auto box! the kick down feels fantastic when you put your foot down lol.

but I now need a 6 speed for my power levels.

Ive never drove a manual supra so I can't compare but I really wanted an aero top and im sure they only come in a auto so I didnt have much choice in the transition lol :)

Guest Rsand85
pity you live at the tip of Scotland or id live you have a shot of my auto.

cheers dude its a dam pain like its a 6hr drive for me to get to glasgow!