The mkiv Supra Owners Club

opinions and thoughts on these please

Guest aspire

I personally wouldnt they look kinda cheap and may not be reliable

How do they look cheap ? other than not using the crank pulley for obvious reasons they look fine

to me, if they are made to the correct dimensions on a CNC lathe and out of T6 60-61 then i don't

see any issues

So if the crank pulley is bad, would you trust the rest of them? I suppose its like going single turbo you do it once and you do it properly.

In this case you buy pulleys you know have been tried and tested :)

The OE crank pulley is also a harmonic damper, the billet pulley isn't a harmonic damper

hence its not advisable to use it, the other pulleys are fine to use.

I suggest you search crank pulleys on here

If you get these, it's worth doing a hardness test comparable to the trader supplied products. Softer metals are an issue with stresses. I've seen some metal products almost fall apart because of cheap quality used materials. Oil & Gas industry for example wont use chinese metal as standard

exactly, im with dunk on this, CNC turned in decent billet material. cant go wrong

i work for aerospace company, TA TA steel has failed every test to date, why did we sell up our steel works!!!!!

exactly, im with dunk on this, CNC turned in decent billet material. cant go wrong

To be fair, I've seen cheap material turned on a CNC, the machining process it goes through has nothing what so ever to do with how good the quality of it will be. Worth a punt on the other pulleys if you want to save a tiny bit apart from the crank which you definitely shouldn't use, but decent ones aren't exactly big bucks.

I bought a three piece pulley set from Ebay similar to this set. It`s been on the car roughly four years now with no issues. I totally agree with Dnk, if they are CNC machined from the correct grade materials you should have no problems. Another reason not to use the crank pulley is that being made from Aluminium, it will wear quickly in the area that the crank seal runs on.

To be fair, I've seen cheap material turned on a CNC, the machining process it goes through has nothing what so ever to do with how good the quality of it will be. Worth a punt on the other pulleys if you want to save a tiny bit apart from the crank which you definitely shouldn't use, but decent ones aren't exactly big bucks.

No offence but i don't agree with that and have seen some pretty crap machining done on CNC lathes

and machining centers.

A mate bought some CNC machined billet pulleys a while ago and they didn't run true or look very nice

Obviously if the grade of alloy isn't up to the job then this will not alter no matter how good the parts

look.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

No offence but i don't agree with that and have seen some pretty crap machining done on CNC lathes

and machining centers.

A mate bought some CNC machined billet pulleys a while ago and they didn't run true or look very nice

Obviously if the grade of alloy isn't up to the job then this will not alter no matter how good the parts

look.

Think your getting wrong end of the stick. What I meant mate by my comment is CNC turned material doesn't mean it's good material, meaning if it was crap to start with it will still be crap afterwards. The quality of the material is not improved by any machining process if its poor (properties improvement not talking about burnishing etc), the quality of the features is a completely different topic. Material good or bad can be machined. It read to me like matey was saying if it's been CNC turned it must be good. I may have mis-read it.