The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Puddles!!

benkei

After the torrential rain we saw yesterday, there have been more, deep puddles than I've ever seen before!

On the way home from my girlfriend's I have to go down a couple of B-roads, and these usually have a few deep puddles after a lot of rain which I have to avoid, but last night they were massive! I came to one part where I had to stop dead as there was what can only be described as a lake right across the road!!

An Audi 4x4 was coming the opposite way, so I flashed him to come through so I could gauge the depth of this lake. It wasn't as deep as I had initially thought, but still deeper than I would have liked it to be! After he'd gone past I had little choice but to go through, luckily I made it without and problems. My car is still at stock height, so I'm guessing if it were as low as some of yours here then it may have been a different story!

Just wondering, what kind of depth of water in the road is a no-no for the Supra?

Have any of you ever gone through a puddle as regretted it or had any problems?

On a similar vein I was on my way to work one morning in the Navara after a night of heavy rain.

The road I use is, for Ireland, fairly well surfaced and can be described as a main thoroughfare without much sniggering.

Just before one of the villages I pass through daily there is a dip in the road and on several occasions here in the past I have seen localised flooding across the entire width of the road and usually a foot deep or so at the most.

Well the morning in question was the first time I had encountered this particular occurance in the Navara and congratulating myself on finally buying a mode of transport that could survive in Ireland I slowed down to about 5mph, selected second and entered the flood with the confidence of a man with divine protection.

That confidence wavered somewhat when I could eventually see the bow wave climb to within inches of the bonnet and a vivid image of me climbing out through the sunroof and sitting on the roofrack to survey the most expensive mistake I had made so far that day was nearly impossible to ignore.

Nevertheless, through sheer bloody luck, the jeep emerged from the water with no ill-effect and I continued on my way to work with a commiseratory wave to the less fortunate motorists stranded at the side of this newly formed lake, some with bonnets up having attempted and failed to do what I had just done with "apparent" nonchalance.

I can only assume the chap directly behind in the Pathfinder (the passanger model of the Navara) who followed me into the flood without a second's hesitation to even gauge the depth must've had palpatations when he saw the water climbing past my rear bumper and up the tailgate!:blink:

The rest of the journey passed without further excitement and that lunch-time I whipped the lid of the air filter to get an idea of just how close I'd come.

Pretty damn close it turned out, seeing as the lowest corner of the air filter was wet and the bottom housing had little puddles still trapped in it.:taped:

I'm now on a mission to take the Navara's maximum wading depth far in excess of the piddly 450mm recommended by Nissan.

A proper snorkel & waterproof air filter housing, longer breather pipes for the axles, gear & transfer boxes and some kind of plug for the air vent located behind the back seat on the passanger side are on the list of things to source and fit.

One ass-clencher like that is enough for anyone!

Haha awesome, I've got a load of deepwading pics in my old rangerover and discovery

One thing most people forget is that the breather for the diff and gearbox are pretty low, and as they get fairly hot when driving and rapid cool when into a deep puddle they suck in water

So check your diff atleast for water contamination after going thru a deep puddle

We had REALLY bad flooding here yesterday, thankfully I was home all day and didn't have to go out in it, already know a few who possibly hydrolocked their cars, but didn't have tools with them to remove sparkplugs.

Also my mate has a video of him in a wet suit down on the road he lives, it was past his knees! So sod driving through that!

Actually the MKIV is probably not that good in deep water as the stock air box has a pick up under the headlight. It *MIGHT* be prone to swallowing water if you get decent bow wave going. Fellow boozer in the pub wrecked his Alfa Romeo diesel the other week driving fast through a deep puddle, hydraulic locked the engine and bent two rods.

My brother hydrolocked his Corsa driving through a huge puddle. He forked out for a new engine, then did the exact same thing only weeks later!

It was then sitting on the driveway rotting as rusting until it got scrapped and parts transfered to a Corsa van, which is now in the garage, where it sits gathering dust. No idea what intentions he has for it, but I bet it doesn't involve puddles!!