The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam belt / cam pulley timing mark incorrect (pic inside)

_Shane_

Im getting fairly annoyed now at these emails im receiving from garage where my car is getting work carried out.

The cams are brand new, and have been bought from a reputable shop on ebay

Here is an extract from the email i just received from garage

''intake cams timing mark is fine but the exhaust cam timing mark is incorrect (between teeth not on centre of teeth)

Therefor the timing belt will not line up correctly as your timing will need to be at FULL stretch to compensate and may not leave enough adjustment.

This can be resolved by removing the 5 retaining bolts and turning the position of the outer ring back one hole position, only draw back will mean making our own new correct timing mark but i dont think this will be noticable as the pulleys will not be completely on show.''

Can anyone here with experience shed some input on what i have just been told

Thanks

Shane

The 0 mark is the timing mark, the graduations are relevant to the pulley timing. Do you think maybe you have the wrong garage doing your work for you...

Im thinking that now mate :( this garage is a well known and established tuning garage up northern Ireland

if they do mess it up anyway then i will be going down the legal road straight away with them. Im paying them good hard earned money to do their job.

The reason im posting the threads on here is because im not all that technically minded when it comes to the likes of above issues so i would rather get you guys opinion on these issues than to give the garage ahead to fabricate up parts that may not even be needed but im still billed for it if that makes sense

Keep the replies coming

Thanks

Shane

if they do mess it up anyway then i will be going down the legal road straight away with them. Im paying them good hard earned money to do their job.

The reason im posting the threads on here is because im not all that technically minded when it comes to the likes of above issues so i would rather get you guys opinion on these issues than to give the garage ahead to fabricate up parts that may not even be needed but im still billed for it if that makes sense

Keep the replies coming

Thanks

Shane

Oh dear. Give me a call mate.

OK, I'll fall for it, bearing in mind that I'm going from pics of 2JZ vernier cam pulleys that I have seen on the web and not from looking at the parts themselves...

From what I can see from pics of other 2JZ cam pulleys, both intake and exhaust timing marks are usually in the same place. I assume the same is true of the stock pulleys (which would make sense because then they could be a common part for intake and exhaust).

So, since the pulleys are dowelled to the camshafts, if the garage wanted to set the stock timing without having to do it from scratch using a DTI and an angle gauge (i.e. just by doing it how you or I or a regular garage would do it after fitting a new timing belt) the timing marks would have to be in the right place for them to be able to check they had got the timing right.

Of course they could set the timing to exactly stock using a DTI and angle gauge and then put a ref mark in the right place on the exhaust pulley as they are suggesting. I don't think it would take up much of the adjustment on the vernier to do so, so I'm not sure what the big deal is. Maybe they are just letting you know to give you the option.

What I would be concerned about is if they are just going to put a reference mark where they think it should be (i.e. on the tooth centre) , and then just use that mark to set the timing.

I would take the pulleys off and compare the location of the teeth, dowel hole and timing marks to stock to see if anything really is amiss. I cerntainly wouldn't let them time it up using anything other than a DTI and angle gauge until that was resolved.

The markings are totally Irrelvent as the cams have to be degree'd i.e. dialled in. Especially if BC cams as i think they close their eyes when locating the cam dowel pin, i have had sets of 264's that were up to 10+ degrees of adjustment to get specificied opening cam card specs. Ask them have they ever dialled in a set of supra cams....