The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it worth replacing the timing belt

_Shane_

Hi All,

My car is at a garage at the moment having work carried out (new parts been fitted)

Some of the parts are hks 264 cams and adjustable cam pulleys.

I got an email asking me about replacing the timing belt on the car, the car currently has 60k miles up on the clock and upon inspection the guys at the garage said that the belt looked fairly fresh etc

I spoke to some people who said if you want to replace it do and that an OEM belt from Mr.T will do just fine

The email i got from the garage earlier is asking me to replace it with a kevlar belt at a cost of £165

What are your thoughts on this guys???

Brand new Oem belt or after market belt?

Thanks guys

Shane

I didnt get any service history with the car when i bought it im afraid but i had my mechanic check it out, i bought the car early 2011 and it had run sweet since the day i bought it :)

MY concern here is... is the garage trying to get me to buy a kevlar belt from them @ £165 , where i could buy exact belt online myself for £110 ... or will i just replace it and go with a brand new oem belt

Thanks

I've only ever used OE belts on my bpu uk tt and never had a problem so spending treble on the same

part is a waste of cash in my opinion

I'd be more inclined to put the cash towards a new crank pulley as their nearly £300

for a genuine one and let go with little notice so should be replaced before they do

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Out of interest: Has anyone ever heard of an OEM timing belt fail? A quick search on here suggest not, with the only real failure was due to a loose screw shredding the belt.

thats the only one i know of as well but that could be that the owners of the supra look after them and change the belts when due,at the end of the day its a belt and they do wear and snap at some point realisticly you might get 100k out of one

that could be that the owners of the supra look after them and change the belts when due

I believe that's wishful thinking, there are plenty of people with supras who can't afford to put fuel in them, never mind £200(minimum) from a garage to change the timing belt. I'd also guess that most people wouldn't know that the timing belt should be changed every five years regardless of mileage.

I'd be interested to hear from some traders/garages on what the oldest/highest mileage belt they have seen on a supra?

i think there was a member that was not going to change his belt as it wouldnt matter because of the non interferance engine and was just going to replace it once it had broken,

I think its a great idea to adopt the attitude that it doesn't matter.

I certainly hope it finally happens when they are at least 100 miles from home, at about half eleven, on a Sunday night, in the pouring rain, so they can understand what a great idea it was too.