The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This T61 turbo any good ?

tengu

Hi guys,

I am looking to go single and searching for the right turbo, ideally would be a gtx3076 but as budget tight at the moment i am looking for something more affordable. I was looking at this one: T61

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T61-T4-TURBOCHARGER-TURBO-3-V-BAND-/290547115119?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a5f5246f

Does anyone uses this ones ? are they any good ? what kind of power they good for and what king of rpm they make full boost ?

any feedback welcomed :)

Thanks !

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

I am looking to go single and searching for the right turbo, ideally would be a gtx3076 but as budget tight at the moment i am looking for something more affordable. I was looking at this one: T61

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T61-T4-TURBOCHARGER-TURBO-3-V-BAND-/290547115119?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a5f5246f

Does anyone uses this ones ? are they any good ? what kind of power they good for and what king of rpm they make full boost ?

any feedback welcomed :)

Thanks !

those three words dont go together.....

I think that the problem with cheap turbos is that they are mainly constructed of cheese. Cheddar I believe. Save yourself some dosh in the long run and buy a known brand turbo you can trust. Greddy/trust is a good shout actually. If you buy a cheap one and it pops you will spend a lot of money getting repairs.

I think that the problem with cheap turbos is that they are mainly constructed of cheese. Cheddar I believe. Save yourself some dosh in the long run and buy a known brand turbo you can trust. Greddy/trust is a good shout actually. If you buy a cheap one and it pops you will spend a lot of money getting repairs.

This, if the turbo goes it could potentially take the engine with it !!

Done 7000 miles on mine. No shaft wobble. No leaks anywhere. No problems my end. Checked it over the weekend while changing some other bits. Mines be very reliable considering it get's alot of abuse.

Bit like the GTR thread this one, so many never owned one yet got so much advice on the product. :)

I've never owned a space ship, would you take my advice on which one to buy?

ha ha CHEESE ... good one, yes mate i know what you saying, always been using garrett but just investigating if there is a cheaper option out there which was tested and working well ..

Thanks for the feedback, seen few members are using this t61 ones, i know what the guys are saying about the brand turbos and they are right but sometimes u do get cheaper stuff which actually works fair for the money. I am not decided yet, my plan was get a cheaper option now run it for a year then upgrade to the turbo i want.

Will see how it goes. How does yours drive, responsive ?

Thanks again, cheers !

Done 7000 miles on mine. No shaft wobble. No leaks anywhere. No problems my end. Checked it over the weekend while changing some other bits. Mines be very reliable considering it get's alot of abuse.

Bit like the GTR thread this one, so many never owned one yet got so much advice on the product. :)

I've never owned a space ship, would you take my advice on which one to buy?

Edited by tengu
misspelling (see edit history)

you will always get people say 10k min for single and have bad things said about t61's or going single cheap even tho the people that do use them have had no real issues lately or none really mentioned in other threads.

if it was me and i wanted big power 600+ then i would go the expensive route but if i wanted single and only running around 500bhp i would go with a cheaper kit or a nice kit but with a cheaper turbo.

i couldnt justify spending 10k plus for an extra 100bhp i would want more but with more i would go the expensive route with a standalone

I see what u mean, i am after 500bhp, have the emanage in already and fmic, and exhaust and all that, i will check as well for good used turbos in here when the time comes :)

you will always get people say 10k min for single and have bad things said about t61's or going single cheap even tho the people that do use them have had no real issues lately or none really mentioned in other threads.

if it was me and i wanted big power 600+ then i would go the expensive route but if i wanted single and only running around 500bhp i would go with a cheaper kit or a nice kit but with a cheaper turbo.

i couldnt justify spending 10k plus for an extra 100bhp i would want more but with more i would go the expensive route with a standalone

Yeah the flux-capacitor keeps going on my friends friend t61 who I see when I'm out walking my imaginary duck :think:

I also have one.... That works fine.... Pulls fine... Doesn't leak... Blades all still there... Spools between 2.5-3.0 rpm.... Now over a year old.... Had a hard life.... Delivers the power To the red line....

But don't listen to me... I own one :think:

Do have a friend who was gutted after spending £2500 on a custom made from Owen. After seeing how cheap& how well the T61 performed.

Known someone ditch a well built garret to go back to the T61.

Could try it for yourself& if unimpressed then I'm sure some one who has used one of these before will have it off you ;)

i like the xs t61. i think the performance and reliability is exelent for the low cost , i used them and will again undoubtedly. sometimes i think people are a bit bitter that a far cheaper product than the one they paid 6 times more for does the same thing and they dont like to acknolage it, as said by noz if youve nver owned a spaceship dont advise on having one

yea my shit sub 3k car only made 510bhp at 1 bar. absolute pile.

the other shit track car that ran the same setup only did 4 hard track years without a single engine glitch. why did i spend the whole £220 on that turbo . silly me

I don't agree with your methods sir!

You don't throw enough money at your cars! :taped:

George? You sharing that :Popcorn: ? :D

I loved my T61. Best turbo I ever owned. Was a boost logic and then custom built.

If you are looking to build a shit car then I would say that XS power is the perfect route to go down.

what kind of comment is that. noz and dr jekyll have proved your stupid comment wrong.

yea my shit sub 3k car only made 510bhp at 1 bar. absolute pile.

the other shit track car that ran the same setup only did 4 hard track years without a single engine glitch. why did i spend the whole £220 on that turbo . silly me

I'm yet to see any dyno graph of your setup? Tbh the "510hp" is immaterial, it's how it is delivered that counts and I bet this XS turbo is well off the figures provided by the top turbo manufacturers.

To the OP, dr_jekyll has built cars using this XS kit, and it works for him. He hasn't kept his latest one for any period of time though, so obviously there can be no insight into long term reliability.

You are obviously free to fit whatever parts you want to your car, but at least be aware of the potential issues and enormous bills that fitting parts to your car can bring. That £1000 Turbo kit may seem cheap, but if you have to add £5000 for an engine rebuild, then it's not quite the bargain you are wanting.