The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mildew/Mould.

MannDuo

Anyone here had any problems with mildew/mould in there car when it has been left sitting?

The 'supe has been sitting for around 16 days now, which as far as 'sitting' goes isn't a long time at all, but there is a serious amount of mildew/mould all over, well, everything.

I was genuinely shocked when I went out to clean it, it's absolutely covered, the steering wheel you can't even tell is supposed to be black it's so bad. You would think it's been sitting damp for years looking at it! I'll see about uploading some pictures. This is also why i'm saying mildew/mould, as I don't really know which it is.

So anyone else here have issues as bad as this in such a short period? If so are there any common places on the Supra that can let moisture in?

Cheers for any help.

Lee

The car is kept in a car pool kinda thing, basically a garage without a door.

I was gobsmacked when I went to get it out to give it a clean and a run, I can't believe how bad it got in so little time, which is baffling me as to what could cause it to be so bad.

I checked the seals before, from what I can tell they look absolutely fine and have good contact when the doors are closed. Other than that I'm pretty oblivious as to where I could look.

Does anyone have a run down of most, or all the seals that I would need to check? I have looked at all the obvious ones and nothing seems amiss, I will probably replace them anyway just incase.

The car is kept in a car pool kinda thing, basically a garage without a door.

I was gobsmacked when I went to get it out to give it a clean and a run, I can't believe how bad it got in so little time, which is baffling me as to what could cause it to be so bad.

I checked the seals before, from what I can tell they look absolutely fine and have good contact when the doors are closed. Other than that I'm pretty oblivious as to where I could look.

Does anyone have a run down of most, or all the seals that I would need to check? I have looked at all the obvious ones and nothing seems amiss, I will probably replace them anyway just incase.

Check that the moisture barriers haven't been removed from behind the door cards.

:confused:

Is it just on the steering wheel and gearshift ?

Nope. Centre console, seats, seat belts, rear seats are completely covered. Pretty much the whole car except the boot which seems spotless for some reason.

Just took passenger side doorcard off, and the moisture barrier (Which I assume is the plastic sheeting) Is indeed there, does have holes in it though?

And it's clean/dry under the boot carpet.

*Just took both doorcards off completely, drivers side barrier is just a complete mess, it's torn to shreds and might as well not be there. So currently duct taping that up the best I can until I can get some decent material.

Passenger side turns out to have more than just "some holes" so is also getting the duct tape treatment!

Edited by MannDuo (see edit history)

Haven't checked heater matrix, literally hadn't even thought about it.

Door barriers are sorted, seals look fine, the car has been completely cleaned, 3 times. I was on a mission to block any where moisture can get in, without even realising like you said, that the car would need ventilation as well. Seriously, I should not be allowed near things.

At least the mould/mildew doesn't smell! That's a bonus I guess.

I'l check the heater matrix, then I guess it's a waiting game to see if/when it comes back :(

You have a leak there, as you wouldn't get that amount of mould/mildew without some serious damp problems, IMO.

When the car is parked in the pool (ironic really), is it safe enough to leave a window slightly open?

My mum owned a Mini 1275 which was left for months after my sister ruined it (never checked the oil), and that eventually grew fungi and mushrooms throughout, and that was only from a little leak in the roof.

With mould that bad I'd be expecting to find stagnant water somewhere in the car. Carpets all dry? (Particularly in the passenger footwell)

Yeah carpets are bone dry. Once I had finished cleaning I went searching for damp spots/water, couldn't find any in the car. I will be doing a more thorough search in about an hour or so though, need one hell of a shower first! And like you said, that is a serious amount of mould, so there is probably something already in the car causing it.

I reckon, at some point near to the time you parked it up you had food in the car.

I've noticed when my little girl has been in her chair strapped in the back of the car and been eating something, the mould spaws quickly appear around her straps and the seat cover when its been parked up in damp conditions, especially if its something sticky/sweet. The good news (well for us at least) is that you can get rid of it quickly. We used dettol wipes and that got rid of most of it, but the spaws on the seat belts took a bit more effort as it seemed to be really engrained into the threads.

No food in that car that I know of apart from sweets, lol.

But it is now all clean looking but just doesn't feel nice to sit in due to knowing how bad it was.

Haven't been able to find any damp patches or water, and the heater matrix is fine.

The car will now be getting stripped out, I was wanting to dye the carpets anyway so I now have an excuse to take them out. Hopefully when everything is removed I will be able to find the culprit.

Until I get the time to remove everything, I have bought the moisture boxes linked above, and will be keeping them in the car, and I will probably disconnect the battery and leave the windows slightly open (Car automatically locks and shuts windows) as it is indeed safe to do so.

Thanks for all the responses guys, hopefully I will have it properly sorted soon!