The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What upgrades to improve cornering/handling performance

RB-GTE

This is my setup (excluding performance mods)

255 tyre front and 285 rear

Ohlins coilovers

Cusco front and rear strut bar

Lance alighnment (although the shop that did it didn't do the exact specs, I'll have them corrected soon)

Based on what I already have, what are some other upgrades I can make to increase my cornering and overall handling performance.

Something that can make a noticeable difference. I know alighnment can make a big difference but I'd prefer one which results in having front and rear tyres flat on the ground to avoid uneven tread wear.

What about sway bars?

cheers

I know alighnment can make a big difference but I'd prefer one which results in having front and rear tyres flat on the ground to avoid uneven tread wear.

Flat - when cornering or when driving in a straight line? You can't have both. One will produce better handling, the other better tyre wear. As said above - it's always a compromise.

Tyres, brakes, weight and suspension. Once you've done this look at buying a TRD LSD, expensive but amazing upgrade.

I'd speak to Chris Wilson before you go buying anything though, he knows more than ALL when it comes to setting a Supra up.

We know a thing or too about what's needed, 5 years of Time Attack and racing Supra's help 😎

Trd diffs are a bit of a dinosaur these days, still better than stock but if you want the best diff for track diff look no further than an OS Giken type X.

I went from a TRD to OS diff on my Time Attack car and noticed a massive difference in traction coming out of corners.

It's pretty much bin covered lower the unsprung and sprung weight, have a proper geo setup, good tyres, make sure the suspension hasn't got any seized bolts to stop adjustment an have a good brakes setup, and also something ill be testing out soon will be some Titan arb's :)

We know a thing or too about what's needed, 5 years of Time Attack and racing Supra's help 😎

Trd diffs are a bit of a dinosaur these days, still better than stock but if you want the best diff for track diff look no further than an OS Giken type X.

I went from a TRD to OS diff on my Time Attack car and noticed a massive difference in traction coming out of corners.

Would this be the diff that Steve has up for sale as I'm looking at uprating the diff. But I was originally thinking of going the trd route?

What brand/model of tyres are you running? They make the biggest difference! :)

Wheels are 19" CE28

Hankook Ventus EVO V12 tyres

Having your tyres setup to produce even tread wear will not give you the best handling/cornering setup. Its always a comprimise :)

True enough but I don't do any competitive tracking. I might hit the track 1 or 2 times a year at most.

This is mostly a street toy. I want the longevity of my tyres since 19" were pricey.

I am already satisified with the ride and feel of my MKIV. I'm just looking to make some improvements. I'll start with the sway bars

As for weight loss, I could drop just a little :)

I just did the basics so far such as removing spare wheel and all the useless trunk accessories.

Edited by RB-GTE (see edit history)

Wheels are 19" CE28

True enough but I don't do any competitive tracking. I might hit the track 1 or 2 times a year at most.

This is mostly a street toy. I want the longevity of my tyres since 19" were pricey.

I am already satisified with the ride and feel of my MKIV. I'm just looking to make some improvements. I'll start with the sway bars

I just did the basics so far such as removing spare wheel and all the useless trunk accessories.

What diff do you have?

Flat - when cornering or when driving in a straight line? You can't have both. One will produce better handling, the other better tyre wear. As said above - it's always a compromise.

when driving in a straight line!

- - - Updated - - -

What diff do you have?

Stock differential. Also it's a 97 TT 6-speed BPU 400bhp.

Wheels are 19" CE28

Depending on how far you want to go moving to a 18" wheel can improve handling

Wheels are 19" CE28

If you do speak to Chris Wilson, don't mention the 19" wheels :p

Depending on how far you want to go moving to a 18" wheel can improve handling

Yes I've experienced everything on the MK4.

16" (on a TT with small brakes), 17", 18", and 19".

I mostly went with them for the looks but kept performance in mind, got a good deal on the CE28 which are light wheels.

I'll have a nearly new Whiteline rear ARB (3 way adjustable) available very soon.

Quickest bloody way to dial out understeer I've ever seen!

Let me know if you're interested, it'll save me putting up a sale thread!

Anti roll bar? thanks I'll give it some thought!

So on my list now is Anti roll bar and some sway bars :)

I found that 'dinosaur' to be very effective on the road, but as you well know a good track diff can be a pig on our roads, and a good road diff won't offer the best performance on a track.