The mkiv Supra Owners Club

nct--mot

jjs_82

It depends on the Year of the car for the NCT, basically pre 94 or older , you would need a serious issue to fail on emissions . The threshold is ridicolous , post 93 you need to be within the tolerances of what the NCT deem acceptable.

I have decats in mine and passed last time (1993 Car) , my emissions where way above acceptable levels for a 1993

Since two years back they did introduce new rules and the one that strikes me is Failure: Emission control system leaking, incomplete or incorrectly assembled.

Technically even though they pass you on emissions they could fail you for having an incomplete exhaust system.

My advise is to put the car in and see what they fail it on if anything

http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20May%202012.pdf

If it's in good working order it should easily pass the non-cat test without any cats fitted, if it doesn't I'd be looking at whether the O2 sensor is working. You get a free retest within so many days, so if it doesn't pass then you could refit the cats and get them to test it again.

You get a free retest within so many days, so if it doesn't pass then you could refit the cats and get them to test it again.

There is nothing free about the NCT re-test Nic.

The NCT is the epitome of a money making scam for the operators.

My Prelude once failed because the county of registration was not displayed at the top of the number plates in Irish.

If anything more than a visual verification is required to pass at the re-test they kindly relieve you of another €30. The initial test is about €55 IIRC.

However if you fail to book your re-test for a date within 3 weeks of the original test & subsequent fail they will charge you full whack (€55) again.

They will carry out absolutely no repair to the car, no matter how small, in order to get it through a test first time.

The last time I had my Prelude in for a full test I was informed it had failed on an unsatisfactory dipped beam pattern from one of the headlights, the tester then informed me the probable cause was a slightly mis-aligned filament or reflector INSIDE the actual bulb.

I had to take the car away, fit a new bulb and get the pattern checked, then book a re-test and pay the thievin' tramps another €30 all because the pattern would need to be checked by them on a beam tester again.

I bought a crew-cab after that to which the NCT does not apply.

Really. What nct center did you go to?

tested in the north mate...but the emissions on cars are more or less the same both sides of the border. my advise is make sure the car is well warmed up before you go in, less fuel been used when the car is at running temp, so should lower your nox and co etc.

Well i had my '97 in last month and passed perfectly but is totally standard. Maybe this pic will help the UK peeps see what emission readings we need to pass here in Ireland. These are for post 1993 cars, 1993 and earlier only have to pass the low idle CO test set higher at 3.5%. I reckon you'd pass with one cat but i wouldn't be positive.