The mkiv Supra Owners Club

burning rubber smell problem

ashbuster

hey guys

lately ive had a burning rubber smell coming into the car and its mainly when high revs or flooring it

everytime ive looked around the car but i cant find the problem. its not the tyres i know for sure.

last things done to the car before this started happening was the exhaust was pulled up high and cable tied up higher so the carbon diffuser can be fitted,

this diffuser is touching the exhaust (whats it smell like when hot?)

also the crank pulley was changed and the idiot hit my aircon rad when he was doing it.

its really annoying i cant seem to find the smell because it completely goes when im pulled over.

could it possibly be my auxbelt slipping? and how would i know for sure, ive tried smelling all over the engine bay and cant smell anything :(

forgot to mention, no warning lights show up and it doesnt overheat, coolant isnt going down and oil level is fine in the box and engine.

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

Carbon burns? Yes at some degree of heat carbon will burn but not from the silly tempereture a back box reaches. If your back box was glowing red then yeah lol. Besides my difuser was touching the whole underneith of my back box and never had problem.

I would put my guess on the aux belt slipping mate.

yeah mate its auto,

clutch smells simular to brakes i would imagine, and this is different, more of a rubbery smell and the aux belt im using is one i was linked to by nic in another thread.

the vents on my bonnet are right above it allowing it to get wet which im guessing doesnt help

i smell it and cant smell the burning smell, wouldnt the smell still linger from the belt?

just wanted to add i dont think it would be the backbox on the diffuser because i dont think i wouldnt be smelling that inside the car at 60mph would i? right at the rear, plus the smell is just like rubber / like tyres

car still pulls and drives as it should

Is the crank damper goosed again? Was it a new one or a used one? Tipex test it. O2 sensor lead draped on downpipe?

Sadly only a small percentage here will be able to advise, as N/A owners will not have smelt burning rubber enough to meaningfully comment..... ;)

:rlol:

Is the crank damper goosed again? Was it a new one or a used one? Tipex test it. O2 sensor lead draped on downpipe?

Sadly only a small percentage here will be able to advise, as N/A owners will not have smelt burning rubber enough to meaningfully comment..... ;)

That's a comment for the sig that Chris:lol:

lol that me me lol

i marked the crank pulley and it was in the same position afterwards so even tho the crank pulley was second hand it should be good :) unless it landed back in the same position which i guess could happen, i marked it gently with a screwdriver, kindof cleaned the area to use as a mark but ill get tip-ex to be sure.

ill check the 02 sensor lead today mate thanks :)

checked the lead and its fine, clueless on this one unless its what i thought and its the auxbelt slipping but how would i know for sure? without revving the shit out of it with the bonnet open, im in an area where they will all moan and complain lol i now live in farmland

this is the belt i ordered http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350587553982?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 brand new

i checked the routing and its fine

Carbon burns? Yes at some degree of heat carbon will burn but not from the silly tempereture a back box reaches. If your back box was glowing red then yeah lol. Besides my difuser was touching the whole underneith of my back box and never had problem.

I would put my guess on the aux belt slipping mate.

Carbon 100% Burnes as stated.

The diffusers are made part fibre glass so Burnes, I say this as I've had one burn.

today i lifted the bonnet and revved all the way to redline slowly and even tried quickly and all sorts and no burning smell at all.

had the old people come out looking getting ready to complain but they dont know me so they didnt lol. even tho im nice to old people :)

anyway im baffled

even if carbon does burn i couldnt see it smelling like rubber ??? ive sanded this stuff with a air d.a and it didnt smell at all like rubber, the resin doesnt smell anything like it,

its baffled me lol, yeah mate my tryes are fine and not rubbing anywhere there is plenty of room

and yes mate only when going along, cant seem to get it to do it while stationary.

ill remove the diffuser tomorrow and try again but i really cant see it being the diffuser because it cant smell like rubber surely but atleast it will rule that out too

i should have some spare time tomorrow to go over it properly :)