The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to guide on replacing boot struts?

Abz

Hello All,

I am going to attend this tomorrow and just been searching the forum but can not find a guide on replacing them. From speaking to a couple of members it sounds like it isn't as straight forward as it should be, if anything it sounds like when I changed the number plate light bulb on my Type R and had to strip the whole back to get to it!!

Anyway, this is as far as I can understand it, any advise is greatly appreciated, I'll do a how to on it.

* You have two nuts on the part attached to the tailgate which is pretty easy to do.

* You then have to strip the rear out, take the seats out and rear interior to get to the 2 nuts on the back?

A guide on removing the rear seats and interior CORRECTLY would be awesome, so I don't break anything!! :D

2 of the bolts are ok, the 2 studs that go into the body you need to remove some interior trim to get at them, not hard but could've been made a lot easier!

Studs going into the body! :blink:

This should be interesting day tomorrow, I can see loads of skin missing, colourful French language and a pretty angry little man.

no dont need to take the seats out , or even any trim , when i had mine done i watched the fella do it , took out a few screws that hold the trim by the hatch , screwdriver and a block of wood to hold the trim open enough to get the socket spanner in .

just be carefull not to drop the nuts , and get someone to help you as the tailgate is very heavy

That would be helpful! Does that mean a saving in postage for Jason? ;)

I wasent charging for the postage. i just hope it fits. im shore abz wont mind its all ready to post. and saves you getting woken up by the post man saturday. LOL

hoo you calling little. Lol

Me obviously!! :D

Good luck Abz! Look forward to your HOW TO thread!:D

This is going to turn into a "How NOT to guide"!!

no dont need to take the seats out , or even any trim , when i had mine done i watched the fella do it , took out a few screws that hold the trim by the hatch , screwdriver and a block of wood to hold the trim open enough to get the socket spanner in .

just be carefull not to drop the nuts , and get someone to help you as the tailgate is very heavy

Thanks Peter, that sounds promising, might try that first.

Do you want me to do it Sunday for you dude?

I promised me and Clay would do this together as we have to do his one too, thanks for the offer :)

Hay that's not fair !!!

You can at least video it for us too so we can have a laugh lol

Surely it can not be as bad as my drag video... on second thoughts maybe not!!

I don't mind giving you a hand tomorrow mate if you want?

That would be ever so kind, thanks Dean.

Are you seing abz sunday. ill give him the d cat pipe if you wont. im sending it to your house anyway. LOL
Yep, we got a date on Sunday, give it to me tomorrow and I'll drop it down to him :)

whot time we starting.?

I am easy (as you can tell :D) so whatever time suits you best, if you want to grab dinner and then start or meet at perhaps 7pm and start? According to my calculations it will take roughly 1 hour to the first car and about 40 minutes to do the second car, I'd say allow at least 2 hours for me complaining about my back and using the wrong tools!!

This is going to be pretty interesting :D

Im gonna stand there and laugh! :eyebrows:

I am going to get Clay to carry you to the other side of Bluewater on his shoulder whilst I laugh at you :D

I am easy (as you can tell :D) so whatever time suits you best, if you want to grab dinner and then start or meet at perhaps 7pm and start? According to my calculations it will take roughly 1 hour to the first car and about 40 minutes to do the second car, I'd say allow at least 2 hours for me complaining about my back and using the wrong tools!!

I am going to get Clay to carry you to the other side of Bluewater on his shoulder whilst I laugh at you :D

Sounds good to me. i have carrid biger people to the roof of a car park.:innocent:

I look forward to it! Atleast i wont have to moan about my knees hurting ;)