The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Supra (Electrical and mechanical questions advice)

scott87

Over the last few days ive done quite a bit of work to the Supra and am now down to my last 3 jobs apart from a deep interior clean and polish.

1. The first is that being an import i have a fog light attached to the lower of my car, this works by pressing a switch thats been added to the dash. My question is though, i have uk indicator stalks with the fog light switch on it, i also have the uk rear lights. How do i go about getting the fog light to operate correctly? Currently the switch is in the dash, then at the driverside rear light, the live from one of them is spliced to a cable running to the additional light and another to the switch.

2. My driverside mirror wont work electrically but the passenger side does. The mirror retract switch doesn't work for either side, which is a real pain as the car wont fit through the garage door! :(

3. I have ticking coming from the clutch. I'm pretty sure its the release bearing. The car had a new clutch 30,000km ago and im assuming they didnt do it. How difficult is this job to do. Do i have to change the clutch or seeing as its so new can i just remove the bearing? Id ideally like to do it myself if possible as im nearly spent up on my budget.

The first is that being an import i have a fog light attached to the lower of my car, this works by pressing a switch thats been added to the dash. My question is though, i have uk indicator stalks with the fog light switch on it, i also have the uk rear lights. How do i go about getting the fog light to operate correctly? Currently the switch is in the dash, then at the driverside rear light, the live from one of them is spliced to a cable running to the additional light and another to the switch.

The switch on the stalk is for the front fogs. Even the UK specs had a switch on the dash for the rears.

If you want to do a complete conversion you need to buy the proper Toyota switch and cut a hole in your dash to fit it (the clip is behind the dash but there will be no hole for the switch). Be sure to buy the earlier switch with just four pins (two for illumination and two for the actual switch). You will also need to buy an indicator lamp from somewhere. I believe you can buy them with the fog lamp logo on it.

If you don't want to go the whole hog just use an illuminated switch, but I guess that's what you have already?

If you have UK rears but J spec looms, you will see that there is a wire on the lights side of the plug that does not have a connecting pin on the vehicle side. This it the fog lamp wire. Take the wire that goes from your existing fog lamp and re route it to this wire on both sides.

To do this properly you should have a relay and fuse in between the switch and lights.

2. My driverside mirror wont work electrically but the passenger side does. The mirror retract switch doesn't work for either side, which is a real pain as the car wont fit through the garage door! :(

Assuming you have checked fuses already, take the door card off and check that the conenction to the wing mirror hasn't come adrift.

The switch on the stalk is for the front fogs. Even the UK specs had a switch on the dash for the rears.

If you want to do a complete conversion you need to buy the proper Toyota switch and cut a hole in your dash to fit it (the clip is behind the dash but there will be no hole for the switch). Be sure to buy the earlier switch with just four pins (two for illumination and two for the actual switch). You will also need to buy an indicator lamp from somewhere. I believe you can buy them with the fog lamp logo on it.

If you don't want to go the whole hog just use an illuminated switch, but I guess that's what you have already?

If you have UK rears but J spec looms, you will see that there is a wire on the lights side of the plug that does not have a connecting pin on the vehicle side. This it the fog lamp wire. Take the wire that goes from your existing fog lamp and re route it to this wire on both sides.

To do this properly you should have a relay and fuse in between the switch and lights.

Assuming you have checked fuses already, take the door card off and check that the conenction to the wing mirror hasn't come adrift.

Thats great advice thanks. I will look into that today.

If the connector had come adrift from the driver side mirror would this brake the circuit and stop both mirrors folding in?

If the connector had come adrift from the driver side mirror would this brake the circuit and stop both mirrors folding in?

Ah, I misread that bit. Not sure as my car doesn't have foldy-in mirrors.

Probably best to get the dash apart and start at the switch and try to trace the signal all the way to the mirrors to see if there is a place where it drops out.

Ah, I misread that bit. Not sure as my car doesn't have foldy-in mirrors.

Probably best to get the dash apart and start at the switch and try to trace the signal all the way to the mirrors to see if there is a place where it drops out.

Hmmm dam electrics, i have never had luck with repairing these type things myself! Ill have a good look. Does the dash come apart easily?