The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Autobox Failure :(

MattP

I bought a N/A Auto Supra around 8 months ago from he who shall not be named unfortunatley for me on the journey home it became apparent that the autobox was on its way out.

IE: it was whining loudly in first and second and was hesitent and jerky into gears I have ran the car for around 3k miles including doing one 2l autobox fluid change IE:what was in the sump.

This has not helped at all and looking at the fluid that came out being all black and having a rather pungent smell i would say it had not been regularly maintained.

Well anyway the car has altogether packed up on the way back from Uni today the sump is full ofbits of metal so its safe to say its goosed (lucky me)

So whos got a nice low mileage N/A Autobox with Fluid Flywheel lying around :)

I bought a N/A Auto Supra around 8 months ago from he who shall not be named unfortunatley for me on the journey home it became apparent that the autobox was on its way out.

IE: it was whining loudly in first and second and was hesitent and jerky into gears I have ran the car for around 3k miles including doing one 2l autobox fluid change IE:what was in the sump.

This has not helped at all and looking at the fluid that came out being all black and having a rather pungent smell i would say it had not been regularly maintained.

Well anyway the car has altogether packed up on the way back from Uni today the sump is full ofbits of metal so its safe to say its goosed (lucky me)

So whos got a nice low mileage N/A Autobox with Fluid Flywheel lying around :)

sorry to hear this dude, iirc ross mclaren has one for sale (mclarenross on here) hes local too fella

Is the fluid level actually correct? Not having the right amount of fluid or old fluid can affect the shift quality (so can a code42 error, so it might be worth checking for fault codes, too).

FWIW, auto trans fluid always smells awful when it is drained, even if the car has been maintained properly.

Is the fluid level actually correct? Not having the right amount of fluid or old fluid can affect the shift quality (so can a code42 error, so it might be worth checking for fault codes, too).

FWIW, auto trans fluid always smells awful when it is drained, even if the car has been maintained properly.

It shouldn't be black though :)

Was just about to say about this.

Get a hybrid box, reliability and leaves room for a TT or NA-T future

I just so happen to have both an NA and a TT autobox for sale £200 the pair. Will come with Torque Converters and Flex Plates for both just in case you need to mix and match.

Lyndon.

Yeah I have checked the car whilst running in park and its in the right place on the dipstick both when hot and when cold. With regard to the fluid I have done 2 quick changes a few months apart for the sake of changing the colour of the fluid back to a nice cherry whilst I appreciate that this can cause glazing of the box if done to often and do more harm than good having black burnt fluid in cant be much better. Im going to pick up the autobox that Jurgen has offered for free and hopefully get this changed this weekend :) Thanks allot for all your offers and support guys this is exactly why I keep my Supra when things go wrong help is never far away :thumbs: