The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1UZ-FE Conversion Aerotop Project

Guest BradD

Hi all,

Recently signed up to full club membership and thought I'd post the project we have going.

A while back, February, we bought Kenblockseal's old Aerotop which he had broken in the idea of rebuilding it back to normal.

So we decided to use the 1UZ-FE 4.0 V8 out of a Soarer as it was far cheaper then a TT engine and easier to source.

As she is almost fully stripped out, almost all the interior will need to be sourced and/or refitted to original, as well as all the drivetrain.

Not sure how to get the pics up in here but attached them below.

Had to go all the way up to Scotland to pic her up.

Also a pic of how she looked before being broken.

Brad

IMG-20111106-00247.jpg

Black Betty.jpg

190220121046.jpg

190220121045.jpg

180220121039.jpg

Edited by BradD (see edit history)

Nice, that's the plan for now, with the idea of supercharging it soon.

I've heard it's the Eaton M112 SC off the 4 litre jags which people use?

Heres a few pics of the Soarer we bought. 93 J reg, GT Limited.

Was stripped out, interior/body panels and all with all the Drivetrain left.

250320121167.jpg

250320121169.jpg

250320121172.jpg

250320121173.jpg

What more history is there chap? It was imported by JIC imports the Jurgen of his day. Roy bought it from there. I bought it from him and had it for like 18 months. Gruggs bought it from me and he stripped it virtually as soon as he bought it and it never went on the road again so essentially two owners.

It had a minor frontal altercation when Roy had it which is why it had a UK spec front bumper and TRD bonnet on it and it had a minor parking impact in my ownership when a builder stuck his tailgate through the passengers door and scraped the rear quarter. These altercations were both fixed at professional body shops and were cosmetic panel fixes. Every issue the car has ever had is documented on this forum. Roy thought he had turbo problems that I finally diagnosed as an over filled auto box dripping oil on the hot exhaust. I had an issue with the roof leaking that transpired to be a badly adjusted drivers window. The SAFC that was fitted didn't like it if you left the car sitting for weeks on end and would play up the ignition other than that it was my all time most favourite car I ever owned. I did harbour dark thoughts about buying that shell back myself but just couldn't have found the time to sort it out. Let me know when you've finished it as I've toyed with the idea of a V8 aerotop myself lol.

Well it's good to know it hasn't been in any major incidents then. So I take it, it was imported in 2004 right?

Unfortunately, soon after we picked her up, we lost the roof so will need to find one before we finish.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?278363-Aerotop-ROOF

I'll let you know when it's done, although it won't be for a little while as I'm still in school studying so free time is limited plus the car is locked up in London.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure we will be able to cut and splice in the harness for everything.

Do you know vaguely what needs to be cut into?

Also, are the 2jz alternators the same as the 1uz? The one on the engine seems stuck/won't spin but haven't really tried to shift it.

Nice, that's the plan for now, with the idea of supercharging it soon. I've heard it's the Eaton M112 SC off the 4 litre Jags which people use?...
M90, M112, Lysholm, Yella Terra, Harrop, Whipple positive displacement/twin screw superchargers have all been used, as well as centrifugal blowers. As mentioned above, Bullet Cars in Australia do various levels of kit.

If you have the fabrication skills, a turbo conversion may be the easiest. Swap the manifolds left to right and reversed, some pipe, a bit of welding, an integral wastegate turbo or two and you're away (some sequences have been shortened :)).

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?238361-V8-Twin-Turbo-Project

I'm sure you already know where to look, but you'll find a fair bit of info on the Australian Soarer forums (ALSC and Soarer Central), Lextreme, Club Lexus, v-eight.com (seems to have died and collected a lot of spam lately, unfortunately), and perhaps Toymods.

The alternators are different fitting bud.

I guess i'll have to free mine up :rolleyes:

M90, M112, Lysholm, Yella Terra, Harrop, Whipple positive displacement/twin screw superchargers have all been used, as well as centrifugal blowers. As mentioned above, Bullet Cars in Australia do various levels of kit.

If you have the fabrication skills, a turbo conversion may be the easiest. Swap the manifolds left to right and reversed, some pipe, a bit of welding, an integral wastegate turbo or two and you're away (some sequences have been shortened :)).

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?238361-V8-Twin-Turbo-Project

I'm sure you already know where to look, but you'll find a fair bit of info on the Australian Soarer forums (ALSC and Soarer Central), Lextreme, Club Lexus, v-eight.com (seems to have died and collected a lot of spam lately, unfortunately), and perhaps Toymods.

Seems there are many options after fitting the engine but i guess n/a will be fine for now.

What sort of power do these put out stock with minor modifications like decats, exhaust, intake and such.

Also how much power can the stock internals take?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure we will be able to cut and splice in the harness for everything.

Do you know vaguely what needs to be cut into?

Also, are the 2jz alternators the same as the 1uz? The one on the engine seems stuck/won't spin but haven't really tried to shift it.

I know exactly what needs cut :). Give me a shout if you get stuck. The plug and play loom is a much easier way of doing things though, and for 30 quid, it'll save you hours of frustration, hassle and burnt fingers :).

The alternators are different, I've got a couple down the unit if yours is completely phucket.

• 2 months later...

update on the project.....

Pulled out the 1UZ from the Soarer on saturday. Also stripped out everything from inside and the engine bay.

It's a good shell, but there's no reason to keep it, so it'll be weighed in.

Jacked up the front and rested the subframe and box on a couple trolleys

Then supported the centre of the car and undid the bolts holding the subframe and gearbox mount.

Continued to jack up the car allowing the subframe, engine and box to rest on the trolleys

Engine rolled out.......

Engine bay and inside totally stripped out.....

Done

Next step will be to respray the supra engine bay then drop the engine in

02022013670_zps9aaeef30.jpg

02022013688_zps7c68d8c0.jpg

02022013697_zpsb6949671.jpg

02022013699_zpsba94ed29.jpg

02022013700_zpsec74cc41.jpg

02022013705_zpsc0adf02a.jpg

02022013710_zps7ed3cb7b.jpg

02022013711_zpsd4dcf56e.jpg

02022013714_zpsc97ab484.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TheCaptain69

Hi mate just spotted this, how are you getting on with my old Soarer doubt theres a lot left now lol

I kinda got abit inspired so went and did it myself just went with the manual gearbox :)

• 4 months later...
Guest BradD

Engine bay has been resprayed now so the engine will go in soon.

Not sure on the condition of the auto box that came with the soarer but I guess we'll find out.