The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big twins on a stock auto?

Rob_Mitchell

They'll come on line just like your single will, but just harder. A built autobox is a must for these. Johnny made 670hp at just 1.25 bar so your box will explode instantly.

I would have thought a built box would be first requirement, just wondered if it has been done so i can see results ect.

The Twins don't come in as hard as a single, it's a lot more progressive.

As you've obviously recently had a big twin car, your opinion is more factual than mine, but I seem to remember the torque curve on big twin cars having a far steeper curve earlier in the rev range, which is what kills gearboxes, not the power delivery.

As you've obviously recently had a big twin car, your opinion is more factual than mine, but I seem to remember the torque curve on big twin cars having a far steeper curve earlier in the rev range, which is what kills gearboxes, not the power delivery.

Depends on the size of the turbos and the cams/tune they run with - I'm only speaking from what I've seen on mine - and from speaking to Lee too.

IMG_0078_2.jpg i have been running big twins since 2009 pushing 690bhp on a stock auto box, i am now on box number five so the auto box will put up with big twins but not for long it seem to be down to luck! because one only lasted 700 miles and another has lasted over 4000 miles of hard driving and track time!

I'd have to disagree with you there Paul. Mine was great.

I'm talking about the HKS twins, never been a fan of them personally, we've fitted and mapped loads of them over the years, unless your running 800bhp through them they are a bit pointless. Depends on what you want from your car I guess.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]158607[/ATTACH] i have been running big twins since 2009 pushing 690bhp on a stock auto box, i am now on box number five so the auto box will put up with big twins but not for long it seem to be down to luck! because one only lasted 700 miles and another has lasted over 4000 miles of hard driving and track time!

Hey mate cheers for the reply, last time i saw you the box had blown up lol... very nice figures too and you drive it hard which is something i dont do regulary.

Thnks to the others input too.

I'd deffinately like to go for a built autobox at some point. Looks like SRD are doing a few boxes but maybe cheaper to go six speed. I like the idea of the Titan autoboxes but would be worried about the shipping costs and how much tax and everything else you would get reamed for importing one. I seem to remember Paul had a Titan box in at some point but may have sold it by now.

600bhp/500flb torque is roughly the stock boxes limit..even then its just a case of when.. A built box and uprated torque convertor wont just ensure reliablity but will also make the most of turbos...as built transmissions tend to be more responsive and shift quicker..hence why all the US TWINS and Big twins making fast times etc are more often than none on built and uprated auto boxes...2-3 coolers are a must for these those.

I'd deffinately like to go for a built autobox at some point. Looks like SRD are doing a few boxes but maybe cheaper to go six speed. I like the idea of the Titan autoboxes but would be worried about the shipping costs and how much tax and everything else you would get reamed for importing one. I seem to remember Paul had a Titan box in at some point but may have sold it by now.

yeah he sold it ages ago i think. Im interested in a SRD one now! would be very lairy and prob insane to drive, i just love the word 'reliable' and as we all know it comes at a price... i wont go for more power unless i have a box sorted as i dont see the point blowing my stock box up every 5 mins! even if they are a couple hundred each time

Rob once you drive a hi-stall big ingle you will wonder how the hell you managed to drive without a hi-stall - totally different experience. Just check what hi-stall you go for as some are obviously meant for drag racing and feel like your revving the arse off a slipping clutch all day!!!