The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie after some advice

Guest SuperVM

I'm after some opinions. I'm thinking about moving my FD RX-7 on for a mk4 Supra. My RX-7 has had a recent rebuild, good compression and is running 341 BHP. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, I'd just like something a bit more relaxed for a bit, so was thing of getting a Supra to replace it. I'll only be able to put what I get for the RX-7 into a Supra, so probably around £4.5k, which would get me a manual NA or an auto TT. I've heard the auto box is actually pretty well suited to the car, so an favoring the auto TT with the possibility to convert to a manual R154 box later. Am I mad for considering such a change from an FD? Will the Supra seem dull? Obviously, I appreciate that there's likely to be a heavy bias towards the Supra here, but I thought I might capture the opinion of someone who has had both.

Also, is there anyone near Upminster, RM14, who fancies taking me for a spin in a TT auto?

I could own that for a week and have

Convinced my mate to sell his scooby and buy it off me. He had one before, and was dribbling at one for sale at Trax! :)

Welcome to the club. As young master Bailey says, 154's the 5spd, you want the 6 unless you want it to go pop with lots of power. 6spd NA's aren't a bad starting point for a TT conversion, but there are some lovely dirtymatic's running big BHP on here.

We've even got a member with 600ft/lb torque through his home-made hybrid autobox. ;)

Welcome to reliable motoring ;)

We had an RX7 blow its gut up at Santa Pod today! Also Dave (who comes to the Bluewater meet) got stuck on the way down to Jap Show Finals with his rex which is on it's 3rd rebuild. Though to be honest he does drive it properly and recently got single on it. I have been out in it and have to say it is an amazing car.

The RX7 is very much kart like, the Supra is a lot more heavy and you can feel that in the car. The advantage is though with a BPU Supra you can run a healthy 400bhp reliably and it can be comfy so more bruiser though it is still a cruiser. It is more practical and less headache to worry about than the rex.

With regards to the auto and manual I have owned both and can say the autobox is superb!! Without a doubt one of the best gearboxes out there and I assure you that you will not be disappointed. I'd recommend you come along to the Bluewater meet which is on the 1st Friday of every month and I am sure someone will take you out in an auto TT. We are happy to show you around the supra and give you some guidelines though I'd recommend you read up on it as well to ensure you have the proper knowledge.

:)

Welcome to reliable motoring ;)

We had an RX7 blow its gut up at Santa Pod today! Also Dave (who comes to the Bluewater meet) got stuck on the way down to Jap Show Finals with his rex which is on it's 3rd rebuild. Though to be honest he does drive it properly and recently got single on it. I have been out in it and have to say it is an amazing car.

The RX7 is very much kart like, the Supra is a lot more heavy and you can feel that in the car. The advantage is though with a BPU Supra you can run a healthy 400bhp reliably and it can be comfy so more bruiser though it is still a cruiser. It is more practical and less headache to worry about than the rex.

With regards to the auto and manual I have owned both and can say the autobox is superb!! Without a doubt one of the best gearboxes out there and I assure you that you will not be disappointed. I'd recommend you come along to the Bluewater meet which is on the 1st Friday of every month and I am sure someone will take you out in an auto TT. We are happy to show you around the supra and give you some guidelines though I'd recommend you read up on it as well to ensure you have the proper knowledge.

:)

Got to be one of the best posts you've ever done! :eyebrows:

Guest SuperVM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm aware the R154 is a five speed, I'd just read it could handle decent power and was much cheaper than the six speed. It sounds like the auto box is so good it's only worth bothering to replace it with the six speed. I'd love to make it to the Bluewater meet and will bring the RX-7 along (though it sounds like they're slightly cursed around you). The RX-7 is a great car, but it's quirks are getting to me a bit at the moment. I've also always fancied a Supra.

Got to be one of the best posts you've ever done! :eyebrows:

One of the least boring too ;)

Where is his drag racing thread... I miss seeing it :D

Welcome to the club mate, I have always liked the Rx7 and as previously mentioned there is a great one that goes to the bluewater meet too, Autobox or 6 speed and you will be happy either way and this club is fantastic for help/ parts and advice too it's just a shame all the members worth listening too have not shown up yet and the reserve squad have :D

Guest SuperVM

Thanks guys, it's also nice to hear the opinion of someone who has had both a Supra and an RX-7. I won't be able to make this month's meet sadly, as my wife and I are going out for the first time since our second daughter was born (7 weeks old). I'd be shot if I suggested nipping off to a car meet. I'd really like something I can drive for a few hours in comfort and then blast down a b-road when I got there. The RX-7 does the blasting bit well, but is about as comfortable as being dragged behind a car on my face.