The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Worrying - Is it worth buying a Supra

Sheefa

All,

Not wanting this to be a hate thread, but it is worrying the number of Supras up for sale at the moment.

I've been debating whether to get one for over a year now against a nice company car when my ST was stolen last September.

I know I "want" a Supra and overall it makes more financial sense in terms of 4 year cost - providing nothing goes bang.

However, are the values going to continue to plummet?! I sold my 93 RZ Spec Auto TT for £8,750 in July 2007 and now brilliant 6spd's are going for less money!!

Are we at the end of an era where now performance & excellent economy outweighs the pure pleasure and grunt of the old Supra esque monsters?!

I have my eye on 3 excellent Supra's at the moment and then I think should I just go for a new BMW E92 325i Coupe or the M135i.

I'm trying to think with my head here but my heart says Supra everytime.

Greg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a supra greg. I've had them since 1999 and love em. I have an 18 year old uk tt and intend to keep it. In years to come they will be even rarer and if you want to sell it will maybe get more for it than you bought it for. But for me it's not the investment potential it just cos I love to drive it. They are a classic star that was over engineered. Cars like that are few and far apart. What else could you buy for a relatively small among of money and give so much pleasure. You could always be like the many and buy a common Porsche. Get a spra Greg !

The cost of fuel, rising household bills and the general state of the economy will obviously be detrimental to the price of a 3 litre TT car...fact.

But on the plus side you could snap up a cracking car for low money.;)

IMO your signature quote from Churchill seems appropriate - these cars are expensive toys but no matter how bad it gets I'll fight to keep my Supra!:thumbs:

my opinions are these...........

Buy the right Supra for the right money and you simple cannot lose the amount of money you will on a new car ie you can't lose 'that' much even if you change your mind.

The sales levels I do not think are that abnormal, loads of the usual family or house deposit sellers but some additional change in the top end owners, those that always had the funds for something else but the Supra's plus points kept them owners for longer than even they probably imagined. These are defecting to the GTR mainly as it's in comparison so new in design and so capable/powerful.

The biggest change for me is there are precious few new owners actively seeking a Supra. The F'n'F generation already has them or have moved on, they are old and few are truely mint and those that are, are expensive. There is some tasty machinery about if you are twenty and little kudos in a Supra I suspect in that peer group. I see it that you are either a current long term owner or else you really need to be a massive fan to select one to run above all the other car options.

They are rapidly falling into classic car territory, have high running costs especially if they are daily drivers and there are obviously substantial costs even if you keep it for the weekend.

Owning a Supra is pretty much all heart over head stuff!! :)

I love my Supra, I sold my first one in order to rescue another (and because it was black), I will never get tired of the looks, the way it drives and generally makes me feel like a big kid. I could buy a 325 or 330 and be like everyone else, but where's the fun in that?

and exactly how I feel, but like all the marques that have gone before that have their committed loving owners gradually you become a bigger minority (oxymoron!?) and people will look at you like when I was younger I used to look at the Triumph Stag (just as an example) owners and think just why!?

Not wanting this to be a hate thread, but it is worrying the number of Supras up for sale at the moment.

Greg, it's not that bad good mate. Look on PH at the moment: 80 x R35s and only 75 x Supes on PH for sale. Crickey, the Supe went on sale in the early 90's so we're not doing badly compared to the modern toys,

As a few have said - heart over head...

I had my first NA at about 24 and sold it when we bought a bigger house, nearly cried when it drove away! Had a TT outside the new house before long but didn't get much use so sold that after a couple of years and regretted it big time :(

The crunch came a few months ago, we sold an active spoiler and the guy came to collect it in his Supra. An hour of chatting followed and when he drove off my husband and I just looked at each other. A couple of months after that we had Supra number 3 and this one is not going anywhere! There's just something about these cars, for my Dad it is, and has always been, Porsche 911's, for me it's Supra's. No other car can make me grin like a fool just looking at it out of the window :love:

and exactly how I feel, but like all the marques that have gone before that have their committed loving owners gradually you become a bigger minority (oxymoron!?) and people will look at you like when I was younger I used to look at the Triumph Stag (just as an example) owners and think just why!?

Maybe true mate, but o always look at the blokes in the old Triumphs and Mg's and think 'good stuff', I love seeing something on the road that is different from your euro box rubbish, being a part of that some how makes the cost and hard work worthwhile, the extra joy comes from when people walk up to you at a service station and ask decent questions, woman smile at you at the lights or you get a nod from a fellow enthusiast.

Let the good times roll folks, provided Toyota keep making bits and Keron keeps breaking them I am in for the game!

I've owned Trans Am's, Corvettes, ultra fast Volvos (yes, the can make a lot of HP) and some things you cant measure in cash. Every time im heading to the garage to pick up my Supra i get a smile on my face. The sound when i start her up... Like the commercial says...its priceless. Same thing with my Corvettes.

You dont buy these cars as an investment as in "i want my cash back when i sell it" You buy it because you love them and the feeling they provide you with. If it came down to bying a brooker car (E92) or a Supra..my decision would be simple. Supra every time. An ordinary car simply cant provide the feeling that a Supra can. Get a nice one..or restore the one you have. Then you will have one of the best performance cars on the planet.

And i can tell you..nice Supras in Sweden can sell for well over £15 000..mine did..

I had an NA before I last went to Afghan, and always had it in mind to get a TT when I got back.

Even though I had a TT sat on the drive when the NA was sold, it still pulled on my heart strings, and I just wished I had the money long term, as I was contemplating going NA-T with it for the track, but 2 supras in one household when only I drive was too much really.

The Supra is still an iconic Japanese performance car, and what I love, is that whether stock or modified, they turn heads. They have amazing presence on the road, and their looks can still cut it with the newer cars imo.

The best thing for me, is having the old boys coming up to you, and saying its a nice car. One bloke not long ago, said he was waiting for 25 minutes while I was in Tesco, just so he could compliment me on the car :D