The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust question.

Kaan W

I currently have a whifbitz 3" twin box exhaust on my car at the moment but am looking for a single box, mainly for more flow and noise :D I have been offered in exchange for my exhaust a 3" xs power single box exhaust. Does anybody have experience with these and will it give me more noise and more power? Also will I need a remap for the car to run properly?

i have a 3" single turbo jap speed trd replica sounds like this with the bung and with out it its just crazy

i could be up for a swop its got a small ding on the back box but hardly anything and this is as close to straight you can get

http://www.japspeed.co.uk/Toyota-Supra/Exhausts-and-Manifolds/c-1-28-72/

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

i have a 3" single turbo jap speed trd replica sounds like this with the bung and with out it its just crazy

i could be up for a swop its got a small ding on the back box but hardly anything and this is as close to straight you can get

http://www.japspeed.co.uk/Toyota-Supra/Exhausts-and-Manifolds/c-1-28-72/

Sounds sweet mate! Could you send me a picture prehaps of the rear of the car so I can see how it exits?

4" will help with eliminate any chance of restriction. The boostlogic does hang a tad low but sounds bloody awesome on WOT and even at idle. you have to get a 3"-4" downpipe and midpipe too

Its strange because in the list of upgrades in the advert for the car when I bought from caseys its said it has a 4" down and mid pipe but the whole system is 3". Slightly gutted but what can you do... I will look into a full system after christmas but for now I guess the back box will be good enough. Its only mainly to clear the rear bumper need something that exits straight and not at an angle.

You don't need 4" untill your up near the 700bhp range. Ask paul whiffin. His track supras ran 3 inch systems at 600bhp without issue.

My hks ti 4" was rediculous. It was so loud I could drive the car comfortably. It grounded out all the time on big bumps. But each their own

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Buy a 4" ECV, that solves any noise issue your have. I've bought a 4.5" exhaust system. I doubt I'll go above 700hp. I'm hoping I'll reach it much easier. If engines need flow in and flow out, then improving either will definitely help. It may not be `required` or something that holds decent power back, but if better flow in any engine help's more power then go as big as you can afford.

Noz mind if I ask what exhaust you've bought? I'm also looking to upgrade my 3"

I'm not an expert mate! Just what I've read from people pushing big power. I'm struggling to find a 4.5" downpipe so i may have to put up with a 4". but have a 4.5" system from Darett which is from the downpipe, so midpipe is 4.5 as well. Power can be reached without a big system though, its not all about exhaust width. but more PSI will be needed if the flow is restrained at any rate. psi does not directly indicate power, flow, restriction and volume change with modifications. a psi at any given rate will be more power or less power depending how much flow at that pressure you can have.

Nos. if a 3" has no restriction. Then a 4" won't make a blind bit of difference.

Strong statement dude, 3" has `no` restriction. If a 3" doesn't cause an issue up to 600hp then theres still enough back pressure to be noted above 800hp with a 3". Even if it's the smallest amount of reduction, it gives you room for improvement later on rather than being like me, own a supra for 2 years and be on your third exhaust.

3" may do 600hp fine, but looking at the flow of exhaust gases being improved with a bigger system in pretty much any engine, it would definitely be more bhp on the same psi as flow would increase would it not? not saying alot, maybe even as small as 0.5hp, but the point is more flow must increase power.

if 3" did indeed have `no` restriction i wouldnt bother going bigger and you would be right, there wouldnt be any point. jamiep done ok with his setup, and he once said he tries to use the biggest pipe he can.

we are all hungry power tuners after all, that extra 5hp may be enough to satisfy your target. i aimed for 400 and it's anonyed the hell out of me. when i get a remap i want to make sure i am well pass my previous, so why not be generous with helping flow in and out the engine?

i could be wrong im just trying to consider how an engine works and try and get the best for what i can afford without swapping my engine. for every mod, i want to try and make sure it's the best choice i can afford and get the most from it. im still new to all this and go on what ive read and seen, by no means am i an expert and could indeed be talking nonsense matey :)

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

I'm not an expert mate! Just what I've read from people pushing big power. I'm struggling to find a 4.5" downpipe so i may have to put up with a 4". but have a 4.5" system from Darett which is from the downpipe, so midpipe is 4.5 as well. Power can be reached without a big system though, its not all about exhaust width. but more PSI will be needed if the flow is restrained at any rate. psi does not directly indicate power, flow, restriction and volume change with modifications. a psi at any given rate will be more power or less power depending how much flow at that pressure you can have.

Strong statement dude, 3" has `no` restriction. If a 3" doesn't cause an issue up to 600hp then theres still enough back pressure to be noted above 800hp with a 3". Even if it's the smallest amount of reduction, it gives you room for improvement later on rather than being like me, own a supra for 2 years and be on your third exhaust.

3" may do 600hp fine, but looking at the flow of exhaust gases being improved with a bigger system in pretty much any engine, it would definitely be more bhp on the same psi as flow would increase would it not? not saying alot, maybe even as small as 0.5hp, but the point is more flow must increase power.

if 3" did indeed have `no` restriction i wouldnt bother going bigger and you would be right, there wouldnt be any point. jamiep done ok with his setup, and he once said he tries to use the biggest pipe he can.

we are all hungry power tuners after all, that extra 5hp may be enough to satisfy your target. i aimed for 400 and it's anonyed the hell out of me. when i get a remap i want to make sure i am well pass my previous, so why not be generous with helping flow in and out the engine?

i could be wrong im just trying to consider how an engine works and try and get the best for what i can afford without swapping my engine. for every mod, i want to try and make sure it's the best choice i can afford and get the most from it. im still new to all this and go on what ive read and seen, by no means am i an expert and could indeed be talking nonsense matey :)

I didn't say it has no restriction. There was an if in there. Its the same principle as computer networks.

(these are random numbers) If the engine outputs say 50cm3 per second max and 3" exhaust will flow 75cm3 per second. Then a 4" is pointless.

If its just for future planning fine. But it's way overkill tbh

Yea dude I know what your saying and I 100% think our right. But I'm just trying to think of it like resistance in a circuit. Flow of water in a pipe at the same pressure will move more water having a higher flow rate with less resistance in the pipe but yes, you could have over kill for sure.

hi mate well this is how it would sit as stock but i have a modified midpipe so sit different now [ATTACH=CONFIG]158328[/ATTACH]

Cheers mate. In the picture there it look like it exits a little straighter than mine. It seems i'll have to look into this further as most exhausts for the supra exit at a slant which is just going to interfere with the bumper.

i think you might be worring over nothing then mate, mines more on the wonk then most and if yours is more then mine everyone else seems okay with there trial rear?

Hmmm true, mine is a bit on the wonky side tho as the picture in this thread -

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?277103-Exhaust-swap

Even just a little straighter and it should clear the bumper. But you say you have a modified mid pipe so how will it fit on a standard mid pipe?

yes its alot louder for sure i used to do some track days when i had hybrids just scrapped through at 104 db now with the bung with the single its 106 and without the bung i dont know but its alot louder, yours with the twin box is approved for track days with whifbits stating its 101 db at 5200 rpm with a single,

so its 5 db louder even with the bung lol

can you get a company to put a bend in it for you?

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)