The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This happened on the way to work today

kniff_666

Just coming to work today and was thinking about changing my exhaust system back to stock (but double decat)

Gave it a few beans to see if i still like the noise of my current exhaust (which i still do!) and then clunk.

got to work and had a look

i don't think there is any welding this back on

so i think my mind about changing the exhaust has been made for me!

Looks like someone has exhaust wrapped the whole thing, I would hazard a guess that moisture has got in there and weakened / rusted the join.

is it generally not a good idea to heat wrap exhausts then?

That heat wrap has been on for about 4months. Question now is should i remove the heat wrap from the rest of it?

that might be an option rather than going back to stock.

questions being is how loud is it (i am 2nd decat) and is it available now?

Yep it's available now and is sat in my garage ready to go, I had it on my TT (previous owner liked a quiet exhaust lol) which meant it was very quiet but I have tested it on an NA and due to the large size of the single box it wasn't too loud at all but had a great sound without the dreaded drone :)

is it generally not a good idea to heat wrap exhausts then?

That heat wrap has been on for about 4months. Question now is should i remove the heat wrap from the rest of it?

Normally you only wrap the under bonnet components not the whole exhaust, its designed to keep heat in the exhaust and lower under bonnet temps, I cant see it being any real use when under the car.

It does increase the risk of cracking and rusting if the car is not used regularly and stored outside as it can trap moisture.

Corrosion doesn't happen that quickly and must have been going for quite

some time, surprised it wasn't pointed out at its last mot.

I had a fight with a speed bump a while back (ripped the bracket off the pipe behind the back box) and had it welded back on.

So inspected the whole thing while if was off. Looked rusted but it was not fragile or blowing etc.

strange but it has happened and i need to sort it.

I don't think that it can be welded back on either

Normally you only wrap the under bonnet components not the whole exhaust, its designed to keep heat in the exhaust and lower under bonnet temps, I cant see it being any real use when under the car.

It does increase the risk of cracking and rusting if the car is not used regularly and stored outside as it can trap moisture.

I've noticed several cars at Ten of the Best which have a ceramic coating on the whole exhaust system, presumably to raise exhaust gas pressure. IIRC one was a Subaru rally car. CW would know.

But this exhaust wrap is a bad idea under a car.

I've noticed several cars at Ten of the Best which have a ceramic coating on the whole exhaust system, presumably to raise exhaust gas pressure. IIRC one was a Subaru rally car. CW would know.

But this exhaust wrap is a bad idea under a car.

Ceramic coating are very different to wrap, there is no space for moisture to get in plus they act as a protective barrier ;)