The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Yet another Crank Pulley failure..

Samurai 20V

Gents,

Went for a cruise yesterday, stopped at a shop, when leaving, on startup heard a squeak..

Got home and inspected the tippex line, low and behold, lines are split..Car has 118000kms.

So I have to replace the pulley asap.

I have decided to replace the oil pump/FMS, water pump,thermostat,radiator hoses/clamps, fan belt/tensioner/damper, timing belt/idler/tensioner all at the same time.

Questions.

1. For the related gaskets for that lot, should I buy them loose or just get a full gasket kit?

2. I need to drive the car 20km to the workshop, should I risk it considering the pulley just started yesterday?

3. Any thing else I should consider at the same time?

Thanks.

I don't think i would be changing all the other parts just because

the crank pulley has failed.

I would replace the cam belt, tensioner, idler pulley & aux belt

unless you know they have been done.

I wouldn't be driving it either as the metal outer part of the

crank pulley could fly off at anytime now and cause serious

damage.

Changing the oil pump is quite a big job to do (engine out if

done properly) and if you dont have any problems with oil pressure

or leaking fms then why fix something that doesn't have a problem, especially if your cars only done 118000 kms

Same goes for the water pump but much less work involved in

changing this

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I have noticed an oil leak develop from the front of the engine recently, but its impossible to tell if it is the FMS..

Based on the threads here, I decided to bite the bullet and shell out.

There is not much experience with this engine in my home country, considering I will export the car from Japan at the year end, I am considering to do all this work here to avoid future problems.

Edited by Samurai 20V (see edit history)

If its from the FMS its pretty obvious. You will have oil from the crank pulley down, (maybe a few splashes above and around the crank pulley) and oil over the front subframe. Also, if its been leaking whilst driving at reasonable speeds, there will be oil on the exhaust and underside of the car, due to it being pulled under by the air flow.

Put something flat under the engine (thats reasonably light in colour, I use a large flattened box) and leave the engine running for a while, until its warm and then for a while longer. Once the engine is warm and the oil is at its thinnest, it *should start to leak. Then, the leak will drip onto the box, identifying where the leak is coming from. If its the front of the engine, pretty much guaranteed its the FMS.

If its not from the front, get searching ;)

Cant really tell anything from those pics unfortunately.

It may well be the FMS, as its pretty much what mine looked like before i took it all apart.

Yeah, they were not the best pics..

I tried checking from the cam seals and the cam cover, could not see anything, but I guess it needs to be stripped down first..

I will have to get it in for repairs and judge from there, but I am leaning towards changing the pump and FMS, get it ready for single turbo in the future..

Thanks for your help.

What mileage did you change yours at for reference?

Around 100k mate.

If the main seal is gone, then wear on the oil pump tends to be a factor in causing it to fail, so worth replacing.

Also, if doing the oil pump, its worth doing the cam belt, full oil change, oil filter, timing belt, as it all comes off anyway. (Except the cambelt, but as the front covers of the engine will be off, makes sense ;))

Around 100k mate.

If the main seal is gone, then wear on the oil pump tends to be a factor in causing it to fail, so worth replacing.

Also, if doing the oil pump, its worth doing the cam belt, full oil change, oil filter, timing belt, as it all comes off anyway. (Except the cambelt, but as the front covers of the engine will be off, makes sense ;))

That was my thinking as well.

I just did an oil change recently, no choice though, will have to change it again. I suppose I could get away with the filter, its been on less that 1000kms...

Thanks for all your help.