The mkiv Supra Owners Club

About to become a Supra TT owner

Fizzy T

Hi there,

My names Matt and I am soon to own a 96 Twin Turbo Supra in red, Two problems to sort out before I take collection but luckily as far as I can tell nothing mechanical. First being DVLA mixed up details and for some reason the car was unidentified on their database here in the UK but that's soon to be sorted. Second was the previous owner lost the keys to it!

So anyone got any good ideas for what would be the best way to get new keys? Toyota say as long as it's on the database I can get a key from them for £160. My buddy and I actually got into the car without any keys or damage and in less than 20 mins we had the alarm/immobiliser cut out and fired up the motor to ensure it was a runner :sly: I'll fit a decent alarm into it anyway as we didn't have the keyfobs anyway.

So i'm guessing it's...

• Pay Toyota for keys to be cut and hope they work?
  • Buy replacement locks/ignition barrel and key combo off ebay etc

I know even I'm suspicious of it but it's actually now owned by one of my girl mates. Her ex bought the car from a used car Dealership. He sorted the paperwork out,drove it home and proceeded to wait for the V5 to turn up but it never did. Her ex decided that after parking it up and leaving it for 5 years and not bothering to sort out the V5 he didn't want it. He'd lost the keys in this time too!

I told her to call to DVLA and see about sourcing the lost documents and they told her the car didn't exist...all rather odd but after confirming the VIN number with them over the phone they located the correct files and have changed it into her name on the database and are sending her out the new V5.

She basically bought a TT Supra for the price of £25 (The cost of a new V5) :shock: and it's in really good condition surprisingly.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a UK Spec, To be honest I'm not 100% sure but I'm glad it's sorted. The seller got the V5 back and all the details are correct so I'm just waiting on her to pop to Toyota to attempt to get a set of keys cut. If she can't get keys sourced through them I'm screwed and have to change all the locks :(

Her ex bought the car from a used car Dealership. He sorted the paperwork out,drove it home and proceeded to wait for the V5 to turn up but it never did. Her ex decided that after parking it up and leaving it for 5 years and not bothering to sort out the V5 he didn't want it. He'd lost the keys in this time too!

:conf: Bizarre... I fail to see how anyone could do that and, from the sounds of it, not really notice. Was his first name "Sheikh" or something? :D

Hello and welcome, by the way! Hope it all works out for you! :)

Believe me the sellers ex bf sounds like a real gem.I just hope he didn't treat the car like he treated her...well he left her 5 years ago so I guess he did. For the price I've paid for the car its the deal of my life so i can't complain.

Soon as its in my possession I'll forward all the relevant details.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Basingstoke mate.Car is currently still in Essex waiting for me to sort the key issue.Today I got the bad news that the key code Toyota cut as regards to the information on their database doesn't open the locks! Looks like the broken glass I found under the rear seats proves it was once broken into and all the locks have been changed.

Just buy a new lock set from Mr T then dude. Bit more expensive but hey, bargain of the century by the sounds of it.

Bargain would be an understatement. I popped to Toyota today and they said it's £170 for a full lock set and because I would have to break the steering column lock I'll have to get a new one of those too at £200...problem is those are unconfirmed prices due to their outdated prices on the database so it's no doubt more.

I really don't have the money at the moment :taped: Bloody credit card is going to get spanked I can tell.

On another note I pm'd a guy on here who apparently has a full lock set for £45...I want his babies

I'm so gutted about the key not working. I didn't test it myself as I'm in Basingstoke and the car is in Essex so the seller tried it,she knows nothing about cars...this was apparent as she asked me if the alarm would go off after she knows it currently has the sirens removed,battery disconnected,all alarm wiring cut out and no ECU fitted :rlol:

Why couldn't this of just worked :(

I was so close yet so far...bit like this cat.

Just seen this thread.

Welcome to the club mate, I'm also in Basingstoke. So might see each other driving about in our Supra's one day :D

I usually arrange monthly Basingstoke Supra meets to a local pub, so if you're up for catching up with a few of us keep an eye out for the meets between March and November-ish time :)