The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Catalytic Converter! Yes or No

bambisdad

Yes I know that this has been discussed in various forms before, but I have never really seen a definitive answer. Is it a legal requirement to have a catalytic converter on a 2JZGE engine?

My friendly MOT man says that while he will happily give my car a certificate (a long-standing family friend) which is an NA/T, he does say that a catalytic converter should not be missing when one was fitted as standard.

However, in the MOT inspection manual which I have trawled through tonight off the VOSA website, in section 7.1 The Exhaust System it states that;

On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter.

Since a pre July 1995 does not require a full cat emissions test, is it therefore exempt from having a catalytic converter?

For those of you who have not fallen asleep reading this, I know it sounds a bit anal but it really is bugging me. I would like to know how other members interpret the ruling.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had to teach the MOT tester how to do his job this morning regarding the same point, after wrongly doing a cat emissions test on my car yesterday and failing it. :rtfm:

The rule is that if the car was registered/used before 1st August 1995 and the exact car model isn't listed on their database then it should have a non CAT test. This flow chart from the MOT manual explains it very clearly.

http://imageshack.us/a/img404/7559/picture1sf.jpg

Mine was tested last week. First registered in June 1995 so wasn't required to have a full cat test. Didn't bother fitting either back in and she passed no problems....but I did pull a shed load of fuel out of the low RPMs using my Apexi SAFC! :D At least its useful for something!

Just had to teach the MOT tester how to do his job this morning regarding the same point, after wrongly doing a cat emissions test on my car yesterday and failing it. :rtfm:

The rule is that if the car was registered/used before 1st August 1995 and the exact car model isn't listed on their database then it should have a non CAT test. This flow chart from the MOT manual explains it very clearly.

:yeahthat:

I've refitted the cat for my MOT, and wouldn't want to risk it without, just in case.

Yes, me too.

You say that, but my previously friendly MOT station would've failed mine this time as I didn't have it fitted. Luckily I always popped it in the car just in case, and now it's permanent until I can find an alternative.

I like the Austec idea from DavidP, but after a test, it would still fail as the emissions cannot be faked.

Mine is a 1993 J-Spec TT.

You say that, but my previously friendly MOT station would've failed mine this time as I didn't have it fitted. Luckily I always popped it in the car just in case, and now it's permanent until I can find an alternative..

A 1993 J-spec TT is not on the VOSA/MOT list of car makes/models and it was used before 1st August 1995 so it should have a non CAT emissions test, which as I understand it from reading the manual means it does not need a cat fitted.

The guide says use the VIN plate to get an exact match on the engine. If it can't be read after normal cleaning or scraping, treat it as a non-cat car...

Gets a little more interesting with a non standard engine like what I have, or this guy with a VIN plate that says 1.0 engine installed :)

If your car has no cat installed, is pre-July 95, and has an engine that was not available in this country it should be tested as a non-cat vehicle. If it happens to have a cat installed at the time of the test, it gets the test with cat-installed tolerance settings.

A 1993 J-spec TT is not on the VOSA/MOT list of car makes/models and it was used before 1st August 1995 so it should have a non CAT emissions test, which as I understand it from reading the manual means it does not need a cat fitted.

All I was told that if it originally had a CAT installed from new, it should be on for the test, and I have to go along with that now. :shrug:

Even without cats in mine, it was only just above the limit on the 'high idle' test. I thought they'd let me off, but alas, no more.

When was yours registered mate? And when's the test due?

I've just had mine done at Serious Performance Autos on Eastbourne Road, behind Rossetts Mercedes garage. Only £30 and they do loads of work on Skylines and a few other Jap cars. Let me know if you want their number.