The mkiv Supra Owners Club

taking apart rims for painting?

RB-GTE

I have some Volk GT-V, which are either 2 or 3 piece wheels.

They have a polished lip with fine silver center piece.

I wanted to paint the center black and leave the lip chrome. The center piece is just bolted in.

If I remove the center piece, paint it, and then install it back would that potentially mess up the wheel alighnment? just a random question I had.

does it need to be torqued after or if I just tighten it back really hard that should be fine? when assembling the wheel back together.

cheers

From what i can see these are a 2 piece wheel so the center will just unbolt from

the the outer rim.

It looks like they will be held together by bolts with nuts on the back.

It wont affect alignment as long as you put the centre in properly and nip up all the

bolts then torque them up in a star pattern.

You can use the old bolts and the torque will be around 20-25 ft lbs but i'd recommend

you give Ibrar a call as he will know the exact torque figure for these as i don't know

what the bolt thread is or what their made from

A dab of loctite thread lock is advisable, when i did mine first time round i soaked all

the nuts and bolts in thinners to remove the old loctite

You also wont need to remove the tyre or let it down

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

It's much easier if you remove the tyre. Undo the bolts, turn it upside down and place it ontop of the tyre on the floor. Underneath the tyre you will want an old cushion to catch the centre. Then just wack the centre piece out with a block of wood so you won't damage it. I used the plastic shaft end of a very large lump hammer :p It's easy to do, you can do all 4 in less than an hour :)