The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replace front crank seal or not?

Parry_10

Im going to have all my parts next week to put my engine together. At the minute its a 60k miles stock bottom end nothing on it apart from the lower cambelt pulley. So should I change the front crank seal whilst its really easy to get to as everything is off or should I leave it as it is. Im not going to be changing the oil pump. I just dont want to change it and cause a problem as it isnt leaking...

I agree. May as well do it while its easy to get to mate.

Having done mine not long ago, I can confirm it is a royal PITA to do. Its an engine out job really. It can be done with the engine in, like I did, but wish I had just pulled the engine in the end.

The cost of a new pump and seal far outways the hassle of having to pull the engine to do it later.

To be fair, I'm not 100% mine was dead. It was the crank seal that went, but was advised that one of the main reasons for crank seal failure is oil pump failure, as the pressure builds, and the crank seal is the easiest way out.

I changed mine just to be on the safe side. Plus, at least you will know when it was done and have peace of mind.

I make note of all the work I do on the car, so if I ever sell it, I can provide paperwork with dates of when what was fitted :)

Ill have a think to me its pointless changing a perfectly good oil pump I dont expect the bottom end to last a long time anyway so I will probably just change the seal. Ill most likely build a forged bottom end late next year so I dont fancy buying 2 new oil pumps in 12 months. I wont lose any sleep over it its not like the bottom end is forged and worth £££ anyway. Didnt buy a full gasket kit as didnt need to sourced gaskets individually for cheaper.

Main thing is you have good compression readings on that block, so thats always really nice to know, plus Rickys car did run big power on it too. So its hit or miss but if your looking at building a block up later then its prob best just taking the chance. off topic but Did you buy the stage 2 head off paul direct? they look awesome.

Main thing is you have good compression readings on that block, so thats always really nice to know, plus Rickys car did run big power on it too. So its hit or miss but if your looking at building a block up later then its prob best just taking the chance. off topic but Did you buy the stage 2 head off paul direct? they look awesome.

Thats what im thinking mate and ricky only did around 2k miles on that block when he went single. Lee tested the compression before his car was broken perfect across all cylinders I also have the 6 speed from his car as well so thats good to know its perfect and low mileage. No mate thats coming of mikes whifbitz built engine thats only done 5k miles, its also has ti springs and retainers so I can increase the rev limit if I want.

I think there are a few misconceptions regarding seal and oil pump going on here, but to illustrate what happens with FMS and oil pumps, my FMS failed twice (no it wasn't pushed in too far) the reason was down to the oil pump being worn, not failure,

on examination it was mildly scored, my oil pressure was perfect, it seems these pumps can provide perfectly acceptable pressure even in a well worn state, its the leakage past the pump rotors that pressurizes the FMS because the oil drain hole is inadequate as std, and is even ineffective when opened, up once the pump wear pases a certain point,

And yet there is no noticeable drop in oil pressure, so you see its always best to go belt and braces when it comes to the pump and FMS, it only takes a few seconds at high RPM to empty the oil pan and by that time its far too late, so don't dismiss replacing the pump with the seal just because it ONLY done 60K, mine did this at 50K:eyebrows:

If it ain't broke don't fix it :)

Thats what im thinking, maybe changing the seal could potentially cause a problem whereas its fine at the minute. Ill definatley be taking off the lower cambelt pulley and putting a couple of welds on the back as some have failed and come away from the plate before.