The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are HID's legal for road use?

SupraDan24

I was told as long as the cars beam pattern is correct on the mot and is aligned correctly it's a pass. It's a grey area mate to be honest i've been stopped by police for mine before and they said the car needs to be fitted with self leveling suspension to stop dazzling other drivers but thats only on new cars. They let me go without a ticket havent had an issue since.

not quite.

They are legal (as far as i understand) if you have a projector lense. like the supra. headlight washers. like the uk spec. and self leveling. which the supra doesnt have.

but personaly iv never had an issue. up to last month. when i last had the supra mot'd. and my headlight washers dont work :p

getting uk spec headlights wont make a difference. the uk lights do have the motors as they have leveling ajustments. but its not automatic. and your jspec wont have the wires or the dial on the dash for it.

In general supras shouldnt have an issue. unless you have a realy anal jobsworth mot guy who thinks washers will make all the difference. as long as the beam patern is good. which the supras headlights seem to give then your ok. The beam pattern on my 2 supras is perfect. infact its a bit too perfect. with dipped beam. close up i can see everything and can see a very sharp difference to where the beam pattern ends. and beyond its just darkness... then i turn the main beam on and it makes no difference because they are crap :p