The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Falken 452's - 6500 miles....WTF?

Havard

The MOT on the car expired yesterday so I popped it down to my local garage for a test today.

They rang me this afternoon and told me it had failed....:( When they told me that one rear tyre was illegal and the other one was close I couldn't believe it. As a guy who keeps an eye on his car I thought all the tyres were pretty good, the fronts have still got around 6mm on them.

The rears are down to the markers and it is pretty much all the way across the tyre with the insides being only slightly worse that the outsides. I had the geo looked at in May and it all seemed fine. I had however done about 4000 miles before I had this done.

Question is, how many miles would you expect from a set of rear tyres. the Falkens seem a bit soft maybe. The grip in the dry is excellent and I hardly drive in wet conditions. I am thinking of getting something with a harder compound but I don't want to be all over the place.

I put the Falkens on two years ago and spend most of my driving time pottering around. I hoon about 5% of the time and expected the rear tyres to still be ok after 6500 miles. If I had have known they looked as they do I wouldn't have put the car in for a MOT.

H.

I dont think ive ever had 6500 out a set of rears mate. As you say though if your just normal driving 95% of the time id have expected more mileage bud. It's Falken 452's i have all round on mine but i would expect 5k out the rears maybe but i abuse mine fairly regularly. I thought the Falken was quite a hard wearing tire compared to most.

I dont think ive ever had 6500 out a set of rears mate. As you say though if your just normal driving 95% of the time id have expected more mileage bud. It's Falken 452's i have all round on mine but i would expect 5k out the rears maybe but i abuse mine fairly regularly. I thought the Falken was quite a hard wearing tire compared to most.

Cheers Tony. Maybe 10% hooning then but don't tell the rozzers, or my insurance for that matter.

Had 18000 miles over 3.5 years out of a set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (they are are medium/harder compound tyre), Similar driving style to you, not too much hooning about. Tried these after a new set of Bridgestone Continental Sport lasted 3000 miles on the rears!

The Vredestein's are a great tyre, what they lack in grip to say Toyo's in the dry they more than make up for in very wet and snowy conditions. I think they are the best all round weather tyre for the money. ~£130 inc. VAT a corner last time I checked.

Sometimes soft compound tyres seem to be made out of butter to get the grip in the dry and don't last between MOT's. As I don't drive like Lewis Hamilton I compromise a little dry weather grip for a fatter wallet.

I'd expect the tyres to be ready to be replaced after a few years anyway. Wouldn't they start to degrade and crack after that time?

They look like new generally and have always been properly inflated and rotated after a couple of weeks.

As above mate 2 years is a while on the same tire could have degraded slightly.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah so from 5% to 10% hmm i see this rising as the thread goes on H :D

:innocent::D

ive got 452s all round on mine and the rears are about 2mm where the fronts are at 5mm, fronts are cracked due to standing , rears didnt, but very suprised the difference in the wear, not sure about the mileage as its been off the road for a while but it wont be much .

anyway they are all coming off soon , managed to find another avon for the front to go with gabriellas freebee, thank you again for that .just need to sort out some rears

The tyres on my Rays alloys on the rear have lasted well over 10000 miles. Continentals (cant remember the model) and they still have around 4mm of tread left on them.

I rarely hoon about though. Wheel spins etc dont really happen in my car, I like my tyres to last lol

I usually bring the second turbo in at least once during a drive. The car has done a lot of 10 mile trips into Wigan but about 2/3rds of trips have been long motorway runs to London and Dragonballs etc.

Sounds like the tyre wear is about right then...:(

Time to get the wallet out.

H.

Well I am now £320 lighter after shelling out for some Vreds. I hope these last better than the Falkens.

The lad who fitted them today said that the 452's were a soft compound and not really suited for longevity. They had great grip in the dry to be fair.

Took the car back to the MOT station and got a new ticket. Happy days, Dragoncol here we come..!!

H.

I wonder how my Avons will get on, I did light them up a couple of times on the Dragonball run :D

I never got prices for the Avons to be honest. They come quite highly recommended in threads where they have been mentioned. I imagine they are quite a soft compound though.

H.