The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Increased oil temperatures?

James

It used to be that when I was driving sensibly or idling, my oil temperature gauge would read at 80°C. Lately it has sat at 90°C under the same circumstances.

I initially figured that this may have been down to the oil being older and requiring replacing. I changed the oil and filter and this didn't seem to change anything temperature-wise.

The operating temp on a run has obviously increased as well - 90°C previously is now just shy of 100°C etc.

What other things could cause this to occur? I haven't changed my coolant in quite a well but the level is sitting fine and the temperature is where it always has been (according to the OEM gauge, I presume around 90°C when in the centre of the scale?).

The only thing I wonder is if it is anything to do with my current lack of fan shroud or due to a heater matrix replacement (for a demisterman item). I am slightly unsure though, given the coolant temperature hasn't been affected?

Any ideas?

First off 80c is too low anyway, oil needs to get too 100c in order to evaporate any water vapor and any other compounds that develop in the engine, as a result of the combustion process. i would be aiming at having the normal engine running temps even with an oil filter at around 100c.

Where will the water evaporate to? It's a sealed system?

That's cool if 80 is too low, as it hasn't been that for a long time! I was just curious as I was under the impression that 80 would have been normal given that was how the car ran from time of purchase. If not then that is fine :)

After a serious blast it normally sits a little over 100. 105 maybe. Depends how long hard driving is sustained for really!