The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4" exhaust control valve vs 100mm throttle body

Noz

I can't find a 4" exhaust control valve. apexi make 3" ones, I currently have 3" down and mid pipe but upgrading to 4" so have to assume the mid and down pipe will be next to go.

a friend suggested using a 4" throtte body. is this idea a stupid one, as i can't find any solutions im considering anything at the moment. i would probably have to cut the 4" mid pipe to install it.

I can't find a 4" exhaust control valve. apexi make 3" ones, I currently have 3" down and mid pipe but upgrading to 4" so have to assume the mid and down pipe will be next to go.

a friend suggested using a 4" throtte body. is this idea a stupid one, as i can't find any solutions im considering anything at the moment. i would probably have to cut the 4" mid pipe to install it.

hello mate, DW do one http://www.driftworks.com/shop/qtp-electronic-exhaust-cutout-bypass-valve-and-y-pipe.html if that helps?

I have a brand new 4 inch electronic exhaust valve unit , it comes attached to a flange but needs to be welded to any 4 inch exhaust . The valve works electronically with a switch , on off. The value and the control mechanism comes with the kit, but the switches you will need to source as it does not come with the kit. £150 inc delivery.

you would put a switch that will allow you to open or close the valve at certain angles . Its simular to Nic suggestion but its electronic. I had used the unit that Nic recommended before , it lasted 4 weeks then the internal flap bent due to the amount of flow through the exhaust . Then it because a restriction, on top of this it started leaking where the pivoit is on the open \closing mechanism . To put it bluntly it was a poor design, maybe for NA cars its fine but for turbo cars it was a waste of time .

I keep thinking about doing this as well but I think its best to have a quiet muffler setup (as I have at the moment) and use one of these as an exhaust bypass that opens into a dump pipe or bypasses the muffler instead. That way its not under any high pressure so won't break easily.

Edited by V8KILR (see edit history)

• 5 months later...