The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stock fan or aftermarket twin fans

_Shane_

Depends if your after look or functionality really, and how much you want to spend.

Stock fan is proven to have no issues what so ever, but is pretty ugly IMO. The KenLowe fans SRD sell are very good, so I gather, and I've been told they have no issues keeping the engine cool.

Personally, im using Lexus IS300 fans with a PHR fan shroud. After I upgraded the cabling, IMO there the best answer for cooling out there. I have mine set to come on at 90 degrees, and go off at 80 degrees, it take iirc 39 seconds to cool it 10 degrees. These look great and perform better than any other fan I've seen.

I have a set of 14'' twin speed Kenlowe fans fitted to mine , and yes they look good , the problem you have is that you will also need to change the alternator as the fans take 48 amps on there own . with twin pumps and all the other stuf running on the car , when the car comes on boost there is nothing left for the spark, and the car will mis and drain the battery, so you need a 200-250 amp alternator to run them, I know this as im sorting this out at the moment with Ryan, Stock is good.

Funnly enough I was reading through your build thread last and i'm curious John, before you switched the 7 blade fan out how were the fans set up? Were they running as they do stock, in series at low speed and parallel at high speed or were they just activated at a preset temp?

Funnly enough I was reading through your build thread last and i'm curious John, before you switched the 7 blade fan out how were the fans set up? Were they running as they do stock, in series at low speed and parallel at high speed or were they just activated at a preset temp?

I'm running them the same way as I did. Only on fast speed, and they both come on at the same time, controlled by the Syvecs. The only difference is I upgraded the cable to a thicker gauge, and switched the 7 blade 10 amp fan for another 5 blade 13 amp fan. The results were amazing. Before the swap I was having serious overheating issues, on a couple of occasions I was seeing almost 120 degrees. Since I'd done a bit of tinkering, I never see more than 90 degrees, ever, whether I'm in traffic or at WOT for long periods of time. I'd seriously reccomend these, there emense.

:yeahthat: I run the stock fan but i feel it is not enought...

The stock fan is perfect for cooling a Supra engine, it's just not aesthetically pleasing that's all. If your having issues with the stock fan not being enough to cool the engine, then you have some sort of other underlining problem going on.

I'm running them the same way as I did. Only on fast speed, and they both come on at the same time, controlled by the Syvecs. The only difference is I upgraded the cable to a thicker gauge, and switched the 7 blade 10 amp fan for another 5 blade 13 amp fan. The results were amazing. Before the swap I was having serious overheating issues, on a couple of occasions I was seeing almost 120 degrees. Since I'd done a bit of tinkering, I never see more than 90 degrees, ever, whether I'm in traffic or at WOT for long periods of time. I'd seriously reccomend these, there emense.

I have half of the setup here already but I've been hunting high and low for the 7 blade fan for testing purposes. I know you recommend twin 5 blade fans but I'd like to try it out as it does from factory so with that in mind do you still have it?