The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Scott87 Project N/A First Supra

scott87

Spent the afternoon cleaning my new supra. Still cant find any rust on there at all.

Anyway here is how she looks:

2012-09-08-074.jpg

2012-09-08-073.jpg

2012-09-08-072.jpg

I also took the cover off to have a gander... Looks like a new timing belt to me:

2012-09-08-069.jpg

2012-09-08-068.jpg

I also had a look at the block too. There is some white, dusty type stuff around the block and on one coolant hose. Im guessing at some point this is a sign

the head was done?

2012-09-08-071.jpg

Edited by scott87 (see edit history)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest peter162

looks very nice man!

just need to get rid of them stock wheels ;)

as for the white dusty stuff i would say it looks more like general aluminium corrosion from getting wet? just an educated guess.... could be wrong

Ah i hadnt even thought of that. I assume the coolant pipe (lower engine one) is made of the same material, and water will get to this from seepage from the hose and dripping from the vent.

I love the standard wheels soooo much! Everyone keeps telling me to change them. But when i was younger i had a brochure with a red supra exactly like mine (less the bonnet) so would like to keep it like that...

I also need to work out how to remove the rear window tint as its terrible to see out of, and work out how to put new plugs in!

The na's a pretty solid in general, glad you like her and I'm a stock wheel fan too :)

There is a good guide here for the plug change.........it's not difficult just a few fiddly bolts to get to :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?4262-S-Plugs&highlight=plugs

Cheers for that. Will be going to motaquip to get a service kit in the next few days

After taking the car to toyota im also planning on cleaning the suspension arms and other components and rust-proofing these with hammerite/waxyol.

Im also looking at getting a new cd player installed tomorrow, and possibly the speakers.....Plus some more interior cleaning and tidying.

Also im looking for some exhaust advice also. Am i right in thinking the n/a exhaust system is made up of 4 components?

1. front manifold

2. back manifold

3. downpipe, cat and first silencer

4. 2 more silencers, then pipe then tailpip

Just wondering if it has to remain this complex.

Im also looking at replacing the brake disks and pads. For now until the engine build has completed i want basic oem or oem like parts. Where can i get these from? Ebay seems to be nearly £30 per disk which seems a tad steep!

Couple of friendly bits of advise:

I'd spray the parts in the engine bay black as right now they look like they are still in primer.

And if you are going to refurbish the suspension, you really have to get it off the car and have it properly sanded or blasted back to get the corrosion off it and then preferably have it powder coated, this will give a much smoother finish and last much longer than what has currently been done. Just painting over it really isn't the way to go unless you are Arthur daley. :)

And if you think £30 per disc is steep, then I hope for your sake nothing more serious need replaced. ;)

Ah i spent hours under the car sanding everything down and wire brushing all of the components, then air blowing the crap away. All of the components are then covered in waxyol which lasts for bloody years!

Im not too fussed on the finish as its only ever me under my car. The bushes are all coming out in a week or so making way for polly ones, so any that need touching up will be done then. :-)

Im just surprised the price of oem disks were still that high. I imagined that as my mr2 parts had all fallen toyota would have done the same across the board, apparently not.

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone advise one if there are any modified n/a's on here please. What engine work has been done and the gains etc please :-)

This has been covered a lot, just have a look in the search function :)

Basically performance gains are marginal, unless you go turbo. (or Supercharged in DavidPs case)

Just looking online to buy my exhaust system now, going for one of the fleabay decat pipes and the cat back system, Comes to around £260 for the lot. Just found a manifold on there too but i reckon thats pushing my luck as i remember cheap manifolds being poo! Also if i want to single its going to be a waste of money anyway.

Looks lush bud! oh and stay with the stock air box mate. you'll thank me :D and you can get a good brand name second hand exhaust of here.. just got to look :)

Unfortunately it highlighted a few chips etc so got to tend to those another day...

Yer im thinking of getting a 2nd decat now= and keeping the rest stock, but wire brush the old exhaust down and high temp paint treat it.. Hoping that is a good solution and as close to stock as possible.

Had this fitted today. Finally have gotten rid of the rattle that has been driving me insane the past few weeks.

Cant believe how much of a difference it has made too. The tome of the exhaust has changed slightly but top end acceleration has much more poke to it!

Well after ages trying to work out what exhaust to have i finally went with my original idea of custom making one. I could not pull my self away from being in love with the standard backbox so this had to stay! I also did not want a big can thing hanging from the back....

Basically from looking at the system i decided the best thing to do was take a 3" pipe from my 2nd decat and branch this into 2 pipes the same as the standard system. But have these bent in ss and completely ignore the originally fitted twin silencers. These then feed back to the original flange location of the exhaust.

The performance gain is pretty extreme tbh, i wasnt expecting any gains but am very pleased indeed. The noise from the system is also incredible. Really brings out the tone of the straight 6 and at cruising speed is completely standard db.

And its guaranteed for life from anything at all apart from me breaking it by going rallying or something!

Anyway bit pic heavy but here you go:

2012-10-12 13.38.59.jpg

2012-10-12 13.39.02.jpg

2012-10-12 14.12.24.jpg

2012-10-12 14.12.40.jpg

Get a video up of the sound ! Not sure if this has been done before !

I hope not :p I will go for a spin tomorrow and try and record something. Its a very very deep tone, but say for instance you are in 2nd at 4,000rpm and hoofed it,

there is a tiny rasp for a split second then back to deep straight 6 sound again :-D