The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Practising with 3m di noc-- dial surround pic added

Dave

got some 3m carbon with the new 3d air bubble free technology had a go on the two most difficult areas its not 100% perfect ,but it will be, havent covered the whole panel didnt want to waste it cause it aint cheap.what do you think compared to my usual carbon material .1st pic is my usual carbon rest are 3m,going to do my mirrors on sunday.done the dial surround

top panel 2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

2012-09-10 19.54.30.jpg

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

Looks good Dave, I know you was telling me curves were a pain, this seems to have come out really well!!

Which reminds me! I need to dig out the rear number plate inserts and send them to you to do for me!

Could you PM an address and a price too please! :)

no mate you dont need glue its self adhesive

Best to use the 3M primer, I did on mine. That ignition mound is a sod, I did mine 3 times (sheet large enough to do the whole panel), the small bit you've done was probably fairly easy compared to doing the whole thing.

Good stuff though, I prefer it to the cloth type.

Best to use the 3M primer, I did on mine. That ignition mound is a sod, I did mine 3 times (sheet large enough to do the whole panel), the small bit you've done was probably fairly easy compared to doing the whole thing.

whats the primer ? just googled it what do you do brush it on

the mound is a bit of a pita but the flat bit is not too bad

I'd recommend using either and/or both the primer and an adhesive - the Di-Noc will start to lift if exposed to sunlight & heat (e.g. in a parked car in summer), especially in areas that have been stretched.

put the two panels i did in the pics in my workshop window all day today had a small area that lifted on the ignition mound on the bottom ,and a bit on the top panel on the flat piece on the end,think i may have over stretched these areas, not good if im doing this for one of our members .

so what adhesive would you suggest and what is this primer is it paint ???? thanks --dave

3 - Copy.jpg

6 - Copy.jpg

Hi Dave the 3M primer is;

http://www.undergroundgraphics.com/search.asp?strKeywords=primer&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Search

I brushed it on, still not held it well at the point you show at the bottom of the ignition mound so I'm going to try and turn a plain black plastic ring to go on this part as I think it's near impossible to get it to stay put using 3M vinyl.

HTH

put the two panels i did in the pics in my workshop window all day today had a small area that lifted on the ignition mound on the bottom ,and a bit on the top panel on the flat piece on the end,think i may have over stretched these areas, not good if im doing this for one of our members .

so what adhesive would you suggest and what is this primer is it paint ???? thanks --dave

As Paul has linked, the 3M specific primer is the one to get - and I recall vaguely that there was a 3M adhesive as well. But the reason I know that you'll need both is because I used neither :s