The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this cylinder head scrap or not?

Parry_10

Ive been told the machine shop have checked it over and given it a light skim. They have said 2 valve seats need replacing ( the two valves in the combustion chamber with the most damage, these are in the head loosely which is why they look odd) also they said where the damage is in the combustion chamber it will be ok. This is what I have been told by someone who says this is what the machine shop have said. What do you guys think? cheers

cyl.jpg

cyl2.jpg

cyl3.jpg

cyl4.jpg

cyl5.jpg

cyl6.jpg

cyl7.jpg

As long as it was flat within the usable tolerance before they skimmed it then i'd say yes as long

as they didn't take too much off it, not sure what the limit is on how much you can remove though.

Max warpage is 0.1mm or 0.0039"

CW would probably know how much you can skim off safely

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Ok I'm not sure on how much was taken off I could probably find out but I was told it was only a very light skim. I will have it looked at by somewhere else anyway and try and find the tolerences. Just wanted to make sure that damage doesn't mean its scrap and won't make a difference to the head

I wouldn't spend any money on it all until it's been Rockwell tested (for hardness). Has it been got hot? Nor would I recommend you use a head where the seats need renewing, unless it's ultra rare or a particularly special porting job, and in the latter case I would say get it CNC copied and the port profile put on a CNC file for future use. In other weords it's pointless using a damaged head when good used ones or new ones are still available.