The mkiv Supra Owners Club

White smoke

Guest suprageek

Guest suprageek

Noticed a few times in the last week or so some white smoke belting out of my supra, seems to be when I've drove the car stopped it then started it up again, only seems to happen when im stopped at traffic lights either that or I don't see it when I'm driving, it's a 93 auto tt bpu, any thoughts or help would be appreciated, thanks

Guest suprageek

I was thinking that mate, I don't think I'd tackle that job as I seen the post on here how to do it, think I'd leave it to an expert, any idea how much it would cost?

Guest suprageek
I think we're all presuming this smoke is coming from your exhaust? If its engine bay it's probably the leaking pipe dude, as I said previous though, oil burns blue, not white, so unlikely to be your VSS!

Yes from the exhaust and it's def white rob, I take it that leaky pipe won't be helping, there's pink fluid dripping out, clip has came loose

Guest suprageek
Does it really fill the street with white smoke? Mine did it and needed a full rebuild haha not trying to scare you by the way leave it upto Colin at ssi he will no exactly what to do

No dosnt fill the street darragh but its puffs of white smoke its thin not thick, i think ill leave it up to colin and let him have a look mate, i would trust any other fker in a garage to touch it lol

white smoke is always coolant/water related.

Now i would fix the leak above the engine because it will leak down through the head in to the ignition chamber.

I would honestly think that should fix it.

Unless there is a lot of white smoke coming out the back i would not worry.

I used to worry about a similar white smoke problem that only occurred once a week and only when the car was warm for about 5 mins. Was very strange.

Turned out that when i cleaned it some water would go into the back box and sit there until the exhaust heated up. :lol:

As mentioned it sounds like either turbo oil seals or valve stem seals to me. The pulling up to a set of traffic lights and a puff of smoke coming out the exhaust is a classic sign of that.

Although you are saying white smoke, which usually means water as opposed to oil, when people say blue smoke, it just looks like regular smoke with a slight blue hue to it.

Have the 19 year old turbos on the car been changed? If not I'd start saving for some now, they don't give a lot of notice before they let go in a spectacular fashion, leaving you with a stub where the exhaust turbine was.

Edited by st3ven1 (see edit history)

White smoke is not valve stem seals, unless the vss's are totally scrap you only get smoke

on start up normally after the car has been parked up over night or for a few days.

Never said it was, I was just stating that if the OP has never seen an example of "blue" or "white" smoke from a car before, then "maybe" it has been incorrectly described.

I get the impression people are expecting smurf colored smoke coming out the exhaust before they suspect the two most common causes of smoke in the supra.

white smoke is always coolant/water related.

Now i would fix the leak above the engine because it will leak down through the head in to the ignition chamber.

I would honestly think that should fix it.

Unless there is a lot of white smoke coming out the back i would not worry.

I used to worry about a similar white smoke problem that only occurred once a week and only when the car was warm for about 5 mins. Was very strange.

Turned out that when i cleaned it some water would go into the back box and sit there until the exhaust heated up. :lol:

:blink:

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

It happens when it's warm herb, if I was to stop for petrol or something then start it up, it would happen then

Valve stem seal failure lets oil leak down the stem of the valve into the combustion chamber, this

usually occurs when the engine is not run for several hours and when you first start it you

will get a puff of blueish grey coloured smoke which is the oil getting burnt in the combustion

chamber.

Once this has burnt off you normally wont see any smoke again until you next leave the engine

off as i said for several hours.

I had worn vss's on my car which caused the exact symptoms i describe above, when we replaced

them mine were totally scrap but the car only smoked for a few seconds and only visible on the

first start up after the car had been parked up for several hours