The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi - New member looking for car

scott87

Hi,

I've decided its time to look for a supra. Ive owned an mr2 for ages and loved it but have always wanted to upgrade. I'm looking for a n/a manual ideally and have £2,000 to £2,500 to play with. Should i be considering getting one with this budget or is going to be getting a reliable good one for this price impossible?

Any help appreciated.

Edited by scott87 (see edit history)

Hi,

I've decided its time to look for a supra. Ive owned an mr2 for ages and loved it but have always wanted to upgrade. I'm looking for a n/a manual ideally and have £2,500 to play with. Should i be considering getting one with this budget or is going to be getting a reliable good one for this price impossible?

Any help appreciated.

you should get a half decent one for 2.5k

Have you been in a supra? where in the west mids are you?

welcome :)

you should get a half decent one for 2.5k

Have you been in a supra? where in the west mids are you?

welcome :)

My uncle had one a few years ago, the standard 3ltr non turbo and i loved it to pieces. My mr2 needs lots of repairs and the alfa is an estate so the supra is to become the daily family run around too. Im in Coventry.

Ive seen a lovely on in glasgow on this forum. Are supras similar to mr2's other toyotas. Avoid over 100k miles unless proof of head gasket or water pump work. Or are these slightly better built than there little brothers.

Welcome to the club.

They are pretty robust like most Toyota's to be honest. The engine is very strong, mileage isn't really an issue on the engine. What you should be looking at with a car that has higher mileage is the suspension components.

Great thanks for your replies. I just hoping to get a good run around really. :-) The mr2 was flawless for 2 years until i started to play with turbo engines and broke it ( im sure it would have been fine other wise!)

Id also like to get one off of the forum really as ive never had problems with forum purchases in the

Also if anyone has any examples of cars for sale or what i shoul be looking for that would be great :-) Any explanations of why something like this for example is so expensive...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280902172791?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1129wt_1190

You mentioned suspension, anything in particular prone to wear or just general shocks and bushes, regular wear items....

It's over priced!

There isn't a massive selection week to week so you need to be a little patient.

With manual na's lots won't have LSD's and many won't have ABS, personally I'd wait for one with both as its unlikely to be much more expensive and for me they are nice to haves.

Cool thanks.

I really dont enjoy abs on the mr2, infact i removed it as i did with the lsd. It just wasnt great. But perhaps this was very different on a supra.

There is a red supra for sale on here atm, im not sure if i can link to it so wont, but it has 100k and is 2300, and i like it. But i basically want to ask is it good,

i hate being rude to perspective sellers, but i guess everyone really just wants to ask, "is there anything wrong with it?"

Cool thanks.

I really dont enjoy abs on the mr2, infact i removed it as i did with the lsd. It just wasnt great. But perhaps this was very different on a supra.

Well it's only my preference :)

You could do a lot (lot) worse than that one you mention.

With the NA's if it rides nice (suspension bits are very expensive) and the heater gets nice and (very) hot and it all looks ok then it pretty much will be! If you like them standard then go look at it, if you are one for after market alloys and exhausts then you may save yourself some time and money buying one already modded?

Great thanks. Well im itching to get one :-) But i do want to make sure i get a good one. I would assume a high poster on a forum to be trust worthy so that is always comforting.

You say suspension is expensive. What as such and why is it so expensive, its (loosely used) just a coupe, is the suspension not easy to get hold of breakers spare part places etc....

I would definitely need to change the bonnet though. But i shouldnt be put of by 100k miles.

There is also a silver one, much further away from me, but nearly 30k less miles on it. but more money which i guess reflects this.

Thanks for answering so many questions too!!!! your already all being helpful.

Edited by scott87 (see edit history)

You say suspension is expensive. What as such and why is it so expensive, its (loosely used) just a coupe, is the suspension not easy to get hold of breakers spare part places etc....

The new bits from Toyota are expensive and there are very few (no?) after market cheaper alternatives. Used bits are about but most are equally as tired as our cars. It's not normally a problem as most bits are still ok on a 100k mile car but it gets expensive if you start thinking of refreshing everything down the line.

NB i'm not talking about shocks and springs more the wishbones control arms etc

Depending on when you want the supra i can offer up mine.

Its a 94' NA, SZ-R 5speed, got the TORSEN diff and the yellow bilstein suspension and only done approx 64,000 miles (103,000km)

Now i am not dead keen on getting rid right now as i love her to bits and its my daily driver. Was looking for something in the region of 3k (but would come down a little for a member)

i don't have a for sale thread up as this is the first i have thought about selling her as the wife and i are thinking about starting a family.

(i know of child seats that fit in the sup but the wife doesn't approve of driving a child around in a sports car).

If you are interested then you can come have a look anytime as we are only in Derby (although not over the next 2wks as we are away on honeymoon as of saturday 8th sept)

either way m8, good look with your search and welcome to the club.

Edited by kniff_666 (see edit history)