The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which is the best FMIC for a VVTI supra?

skyline1

Hi all as im starting to get all the parts together for my Topmount single turbo set up im just wondering what is the best intercooler for the job? turbo im going for is a GT35 so will only be needing one to cope for just over 500bhp.

got loads to buy yet so its gonna be a long build so depending on prices i can save up for the right kit, something mid price range would be prefered.

couldnt really find much on here for the VVTI model....as usual. :rolleyes:

There is nothing specific that I know of the your need for a VVTI in terms of intercooler. The defining factor will be if you have an active spoiler. If not you should be able to get what ever you need in there.

I have a 3 row FMIC for sale in the thread in my signature which will do perfect for your setup and includes all the hard pipes you need after the downpipe from your turbo.

There is nothing specific that I know of the your need for a VVTI in terms of intercooler. The defining factor will be if you have an active spoiler. If not you should be able to get what ever you need in there.

I have a 3 row FMIC for sale in the thread in my signature which will do perfect for your setup and includes all the hard pipes you need after the downpipe from your turbo.

hi mate i dont have the active spoiler, nearly had one but im going topmout as i have possible death whine so thinking sod it and just rip them both out. ill have a look in your link mate. how much are you after.....? drop me a private message if you want . not 100% sure when i will be buying one though yet.

SRD do really good ones mate, give Lee a PM see what he can do for ya?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?230453-SRD-Front-Mount-Intercooler-Kit

The cheap cores tend to have high pressure drop and poor quality cores which are inefficient.

:yeahthat:

I am pretty sure that it makes no difference if it is a VVTi head when it comes to Intercooler, the fitting is the same.

Are the fleebay intercoolers really that bad?

I mean its just air flowing trough them cant imagine them doing anny harm unless building a high hp monster say 750hp+?

The design of the intercooler end tanks and the quality of the core used is key to how efficiently it cools the air charge, how the air flows across the core and the pressure drop across the IC. One of the reasons I rate the HKS Type R is because unlike most other FMIC kits for the Supra it uses large curved cast end tanks and good quality core for superior air flow and cooling efficiency.

A cheap Ebay intercooler may at first glance look similar to a branded intercooler a number of times the price but in terms of how effectively it cools the air charge there will be a big difference.

It really depends what your goals are and how much you are prepared to pay but if I was building a 750+hp Supra I wouldn't scrimp on the cooling.

Have a read of this article that explains intercooler design theory in detail http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/intercooler.html

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Interesting read this.

The design of the intercooler end tanks and the quality of the core used is key to how efficiently it cools the air charge, how the air flows across the core and the pressure drop across the IC. One of the reasons I rate the HKS Type R is because unlike most other FMIC kits for the Supra it uses large curved cast end tanks and good quality core for superior air flow and cooling efficiency.

A cheap Ebay intercooler may at first glance look similar to a branded intercooler a number of times the price but in terms of how effectively it cools the air charge there will be a big difference.

It really depends what your goals are and how much you are prepared to pay but if I was building a 750+hp Supra I wouldn't scrimp on the cooling.

Have a read of this article that explains intercooler design theory in detail http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/intercooler.html