The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The perfect launch!!

Johnny176

I'm heading to Bishopscourt this weekend for some drag racing. I got a new set of Falken 452's recently so I'm hoping these give me a fair bit of grip :eyebrows:

The question is, how to get the perfect launch? I drive a Jspec TT manual and trying from 2k doesnt seem to work very well. I need to feed the clutch pretty gently untill its fully out before nailing it. To much clutch business and the wheels will spin, too little and im going through 'the bite' stage for too long and taking too long to give it boot.

If I try a launch at about 1200rpm I can get the clutch out quick and get the foot down earlier however the revs are pretty low but it seems better.

Can anyone throw me any suggestions? I have 265 35 18's on the rear at about 32psi. Not sure what I should be dropping this to for more grip. Open to suggestions and advice.

Thanks

I'm heading to Bishopscourt this weekend for some drag racing. I got a new set of Falken 452's recently so I'm hoping these give me a fair bit of grip :eyebrows:

The question is, how to get the perfect launch? I drive a Jspec TT manual and trying from 2k doesnt seem to work very well. I need to feed the clutch pretty gently untill its fully out before nailing it. To much clutch business and the wheels will spin, too little and im going through 'the bite' stage for too long and taking too long to give it boot.

If I try a launch at about 1200rpm I can get the clutch out quick and get the foot down earlier however the revs are pretty low but it seems better.

Can anyone throw me any suggestions? I have 265 35 18's on the rear at about 32psi. Not sure what I should be dropping this to for more grip. Open to suggestions and advice.

Thanks

Wrong tyres and rims for the job mate.

The air pressure is too high for starters but I wouldn't recommend dropping it to a point where it would make a difference as the side walls of your tyres will suffer badly.

If you have the small brakes on the rear (single piston) get a pair of stock 16" x 9" rims with something like a 255/60 tyre on them, 10-12 psi of air and dump that clutch!

The above advise may take a little tweaking depending on other factors, but it's where I'd start anyway.

The air pressure is too high for starters but I wouldn't recommend dropping it to a point where it would make a difference as the side walls of your tyres will suffer badly.

If you have the small brakes on the rear (single piston) get a pair of stock 16" x 9" rims with something like a 255/60 tyre on them, 10-12 psi of air and dump that clutch!

The above advise may take a little tweaking depending on other factors, but it's where I'd start anyway.

:yeahthat:

I learnt the hard way that launching like a looney off the start line doesn't get you anywhere!! :D

Launching at a lower rpm seems to work better, something like 3k so you only get a little bit of wheel spin.

All my times at Bishopscourt and I've only ever got one perfect launch getting me a 13.01 but that's with the auto box and brake boosting, I've tried so many times after and never got it right, either she bogs down or lights the tyres

However next summer I'll be back with the 6 speed fitted, I want a race haha

Also remember there isn't much grip on the start line compared to that off Santapod so your gonna naturally get wheel spin , my best advice would feather the throttle off the start line then when you get second gear really gun it, traction control off aswell :)

Edited by Darragh (see edit history)

6000 revs if its a bpu on the strip, and slip the clutch , should get you away, but you will need more power for a perfect launch say 900bhp +

6k rpm!! Thats pretty mad!! Would your clutch not just give up after a few runs?

Makes sense, my tyres a probably not suited to what I'm asking of them but normally I'm doing rolling starts and I never do doughnuts or drift (on purpose) so I never considered having a 2nd set of rears.

So you recommend just leaving the tyres at about 32psi and just take it from there?

:yeahthat:

I learnt the hard way that launching like a looney off the start line doesn't get you anywhere!! :D

Launching at a lower rpm seems to work better, something like 3k so you only get a little bit of wheel spin.

Yea lol theres just loads of wheelspin and then you have to lift off and go again meanwhile your opponent is halfway home :(

All my times at Bishopscourt and I've only ever got one perfect launch getting me a 13.01 but that's with the auto box and brake boosting, I've tried so many times after and never got it right, either she bogs down or lights the tyres

However next summer I'll be back with the 6 speed fitted, I want a race haha

Also remember there isn't much grip on the start line compared to that off Santapod so your gonna naturally get wheel spin , my best advice would feather the throttle off the start line then when you get second gear really gun it, traction control off aswell :)

Yes thats what happened to me the last time, there was no in between. Either the car spun the wheels or it coughed away down to below 1k rpm before then accelerating again. It seemed sitting on the bite with the revs about 1200 and then lifting the clutch quickly but not to sharp while still trying to hold the revs then when clutch was out hoof it

I look forward to next summer! lol

So you recommend just leaving the tyres at about 32psi and just take it from there?

28-30 psi with the tyres HOT. It's not an ideal set-up but I don't want to tell you anything that might put you in harm's way.

I've never even been down a drag-strip to be honest but I'm keen to do so with the track car.

You'll probably need to put a breeze in the tyres before the journey home.

Thats some takeoff! I'd imagine it also comes back to what pedrosixfourwas saying as well about tyres. If I was to launch with revs too high or was to sharp with the clutch I'd just spin and end up hitting the limiter repeatedly lol. You have wheelspin for a second or 2 and then catch grip again, I'd imagine those tyres have something to do with it :p

I had actually been looking around youtube at launches as well and theres some sick take off's lol. Check this one out

That was a 13.275 with a bit off head wind but I managed to get it off the line great, sadly Bishopscourt doesn't have the same amount off grip and as I said before I've only ever done it once perfect at Bishopscourt out off hundreds off tries ;)

Ps the Astra was diesal with a remap , we are friends lol

Thanks for the advice guys. It was a decent day and I did a good few runs. After a few goes I got the best launch from about 2k rpm. I could probably have managed an even better launch with more suitable tyres but it was just for a bitta craic so I'm not that fussed :) My best time was 13.9 with a 60ft of 2.2 and my friend ran 11.7 with a 2.1 on his R6.

Famous.

Last.

Words.

:eyebrows:

Lol yea ended up doing a good few runs altogether. I would do a few then check times and convince myself that I could do better and go at it again :) Even did a few laps in the track session but my rear end was all over the show trying to get out of corners, I'd tell you it wasn't on purpose but thats lies :eyebrows:

Im thinking put it in D

manu mode on

overdrive off

foot on break

rev to 2000rpm and release break

Would that be about right?

I can't really give much advice here but I've heard people hold the brake and build some revs then on last amber / green floor it while letting off the brake. Best not to do the brake boost launch thing too long tho I hear it overheats the autoboxes. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to clear this up tho