The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nürburgring 2013

SteveR

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we are intrested dependent when it is :)

It'll be in the 6 weeks school holiday, probably end of July /early August but depending on the dates it's open to tourists. I always try to do a 4~5 day trip that is in time with the track being open to the public the most. :)

Yes though only for a proprer track day, possibility of a TF incident with no insurance, however remote, is not worth the risk imo. Also you'll get the full straight :)

I'm not organising a group trip to a Ring track day, sorry fella.

Have you been before? More insurance companies will cover you than you think, and if you avoid busy periods and don't drive like a kn0b, you'll be fine. Do as I do, get up early, have the track almost to yourself for 1~2 hours, get a late breakfast, spectate through the busy periods (or go sightseeing somewhere), then get on track again at the end of the day. Simples. :)

Honestly, you have very little to worry about if you aren't pushing yourself beyond your limits and you avoid those that are. (They're easy to spot!) I wouldn't take my kids for a [steady] lap if I didn't believe this, and I intend to. It's just a road.

Yeah I've been before, there are no insurance companies who will cover TF 3rd party liability. Not worried about my car, paid for that and the barrier last time. It's the albeit slim possibility of a hose coming off and the ensuing destruction of following exotica, the potential injury charges and then explaining to the mrs how we are going to have to sell the house to pay for the debt I've just incurred, because a hose, crank pulley etc failed.

When I last went a few years ago, there had been no land mark rulings in regards to the ring and insurance, now there is and your insurance company will pursue you for the money. Therefore and unfortunately the only 'safe' option is a track day where same rules as UK applies everyone pays for their own.

Wish that wasn't the case as I would prefer to spend 3 days doing tourist sessions than driving all that way for a single day, but until you can get insurance cover for the unknown third party liability it's just too risky for me.

http://nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.php - more info

Steve,

I'm going to miss this year (be the first year in the last 5 I will have missed) So will be interested in going next year as it is a great time. Can even advise of the anice hotel right next to the track with a balcony over looking the track.

for SAFCDixon, costs usually from NE England.

Petrol - Approx £300 depending on number of days / circuits

Accomodation - circa €40 per night b&b

Ferry - approx £58 return (dover-dunkirk)

Spending - €24 per lap + £500-£1000 if really let go.

I would work on £750-£1500 for a 5 night excursion. And that is moderate..

Well worth it for the buzz though

We might be up for this too.

I would reemphasise how much better a dedicated trackday is though - empty circuit, fewer numpties, rolling recoveries where possible...it's so easy to lose the majority of a big TF weekend to closures. Destination Nurburgring did us a great two-day deal earlier this year.

Seems a lot of people take the ring a bit to serious to me, dont they have dedicated days for that? i want to go there and have a spirited drive, enjoy the fact ive driven round the nurburgring, i dont want to push my car to the limits and risk crashing it or being crashed into.

We might be up for this too.

I would reemphasise how much better a dedicated trackday is though - empty circuit, fewer numpties, rolling recoveries where possible...it's so easy to lose the majority of a big TF weekend to closures. Destination Nurburgring did us a great two-day deal earlier this year.

I'd prefer to do a dedicated track day, if it were just me going, but I'm taking the family and we're of sight-seeing either side of taking in a few laps of the Ring. I appreciate what you're saying but tourist days are fine for my purpose next year. :)