The mkiv Supra Owners Club

scratch piston when installing

teddan

What was suppose not to happen, happen anyway.

When I installing my piston something happened and it was a scratch from the bottom of the piston until the bottom piston ring.

The scratch is not wide but you can feel it and see it very clear.

How bad is this??? should I smooth it out a little bit with 700 sandpaper?:(

It seems that the scratch is from the ring compression tool...in the tool it is a metal end and I tight it all around the piston it then just knocked it down a little bit with a wood hammer.

http://biltema.se/sv/Bil---MC/Verktyg-och-Verkstadsutrustning/Motor/Kolvringskompressor-191330/

Sorry for no pic...

Edited by teddan (see edit history)

If the pistons are balanced correctly won't this put 1 piston out of balance and slightly lighter than the rest?

if it has put it out of balance because of the scratch all you have to do is stratch the other 5. only joking i would have thought that if you used 700 to 1200 grit paper and a bit of wd40 to smooth down the scratch it will be ok, as for the balance it would have to be a big deep scratch to make any difference to the balance.

regards chris

It's not near the combustion chamber so it won't cause hotspotting and detonation. It certainly shouldn't be contacting the cylinder walls, and the weight difference would be ludicrously negligible, I doubt you could measure it using normal weighing gear. Chris Wilson would be able to advise better than an armchair expert like me, but I reckon it'd be fine.