The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bonnet scoop

dr_jekyll

hello again my jungle friends.

after some technical test using a brake testing roller and turning off the lights i found that the manifold branches got progrssivly hotter as they work back. for instance

when running the car at 3000rpm for 10 mins with a fan blowing through cylinder 1 branch stayed silver , 2 a lighter silver , 3 a soft glow, 4 started turning red, 5 was red and 6 was glowing red.

im putting this down to the lack of air that reaches the back of the engine . i repeated the test on another supra to make sure it wasnt a 1 off and the results were the same .

so im thinking of a bonnet scoop with duckting to blow air down the back of the engine. to cool these areas.

now i dont want anything that looks super chav crap.... like a subaru so i was wondering if anybody knows of an aftermarket scoop that looks as close to a stock uk scoop as possible? cheers, craig

:blink:

The obvious answer is what's wrong with the stock scoop which was designed for the car, you can buy the ducting and everything?

the obvious answer to that is uk spec bonnets a re A. very rare and B when you do find them you have to sell and organ to fund it. i have 4 j spec bonnets in the workshop so id rather buy a scoop and chop one of those up.

- - - Updated - - -

Would a top secret bonnet not work better fella.

i want a stock look . or as stock as possible

There is a company on ebay that make a fibreglass copy of them for around £70ish, I cant comment on quality, and currently there are none listed for sale, but keep an eye as they tend to list them frequently.

They are going for around 40 pound on ebay but they need sealed with tiger seal to the car ! Very flimsy too.

They are going for around 40 pound on ebay but they need sealed with tiger seal to the car ! Very flimsy too.

Ah ok got my prices completely wrong there lol, Would guess that any after market scoop is going to be needed to be sealed to the car, so wouldnt have thought that would be a problem, however the flimsy bit could be an issue.

would improving the way the air exits the engine area not help improve things. Whenever i manage to get some time off work I'm going to look into cooling quite a bit and have some plans but from what I can gather from reading about, you can try and ram as muh air as you like into the engine compartment but if it doesn't have an effective method of getting out its a non starter. One article I read (can't find the link right now) had a guy testing a scoop over his tmic and found the air to be actually reversed at certain speeds and was getting lower pressure at the front of his intercooler than at the rear.

My plan is to seal the back of the bonnet up as tight as possible as thats the high pressure area, and then allow venting out of the front wings somewhere rearward of the front wheel. With the front end ducted properly and good flow in and out I think underbonnet temps shoudl subside a bit.