The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to convert VVTI spec Supra to non VVTI?

Brazil

I think the first question should be, why do you want to? You're going to significantly reduce the value of your car. You would be much better off selling it, or offering a swap with someone pre VVTi.

I've already accepted that this car is a money pit and will take a big loss, I see it as a toy car and I do to it what ever I wish without any limitations. I like to play with it and all modifications and decisions are performed to make the car better.

If you're going to build the engine, I would suggest putting the stock VVTi motor aside and building a second non-VVTi as they are relatively easily available.

In terms of "converting" to non-VVTi spec, most of the parts you need to upgrade to run a reliable single turbo setup will change in either case (radiator & diff, for example).

If you're going to build the engine, I would suggest putting the stock VVTi motor aside and building a second non-VVTi as they are relatively easily available.

In terms of "converting" to non-VVTi spec, most of the parts you need to upgrade to run a reliable single turbo setup will change in either case (radiator & diff, for example).

Wow... why would the diff and radiator need changed?

Take the VVti engine out and replace it with a non-VVTi. You could sell or swap it. Would be easier than converting it as you're bound to run into issues.

Are you planning to go single?

Yes. I am planning in going single and project has started...!

I found this on a lexus site, does this sound realistic to you guys?

http://my.is/forums/f114/how-convert-vvti-non-vvti-440658/

Sounds about right to me.

However, why don't you keep the VVTi as it will help get you more low down torque with the single and you could just regrind the inlet cam (and buy an aftermarket exhaust cam perhaps) if you want bigger cams?

That means changing out the loom and that would be such a massive job..! How many hours do you guys think it would take the change out the loom..?

Why would you need to change the loom? If you mean the engine wiring loom, it will come with the new engine, if you mean engine bay wiring loom and under dashboard wiring, they are plug and play, so doesn't need changing...

Why would you need to change the loom? If you mean the engine wiring loom, it will come with the new engine, if you mean engine bay wiring loom and under dashboard wiring, they are plug and play, so doesn't need changing...

I've decided to just stick a 264 exhaust cam like Jibaar and be done with it..! I will run it to 700bhp and if/when I blow it then i will consider changing to a none vvti engine.