The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Have anyone fitted a remote start on there Supra?

Dim Sum

The problem will be getting the wiring diagram for the relevant alarm. My brother is a sparky and reinstalled my Clifford 950 with intellistart.

We couldn't get a wiring diagram for that alarm but I do still have the 650, I think. You defo need to know what your doing as alarms can be a right pain if done wrong.

Generally alarm installs are rubbish as its all a big time pressure. My alarm was playing up for ages and most of the issues turned out to be a poor install. It works fine now. I have to confess I don't use the intelli start although it is a great gimmick.

- - - Updated - - -

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

I installed a Clifford 650 with Intellistart, Smartwindows, various sensors etc myself. If you have a logical approach, can solder, have basic electrical knowledge, then they're fairly easy to install if you take your time to do it properly. If you have the slightest doubt about your abilities, then get someone else to do it and make sure they'll take their time and do it properly. There's nothing worse than a poor alarm installation to drive you nuts.

As above. Get someone who knows how to do it. Also you'll need the programming software to set the crank time. Too short it won't fire, to long you'll kill the starter motor. I've got it on mine, supplied and fitted by GAP Security. Bloke that fitted it was an ex car thief, so knew where to hide stuff etc too to make it difficult for a thief.

And it's great when you're sat in KFC, a girl uses your shiny windows to check her hair and make-up and then poops her pants when it all of the sudden fires up! ;) If I knew she was gonna react like she did, I'd have filmed it, sent it to Harry Hill and claimed my £250!!

Thanks for the information. It seems like a lot people use the Clifford 650. If you guys don't mind me asking how much did you paid for supplied and fitted.

So I have a rough price to work with. Myself I was thinking about getting the viper 5701 but I might check the Clifford out instead.

If it is the viper 5701 its not Thatcham approved but the Clifford 650 is. I think the insurance don't like you to have remote start but I pretty sure its a thing if the pass, unless the guy just want to sell the alarm to me.

He told me the Clifford's one with remote start can be Thatcham approved.

Yep you can get Clifford ones with remote start that are thatcham approved, totally agree on making sure you get a good installer! The chap who came & installed mine turned up at 8am & finished at 4pm. He books out a full day & said normally takes 5 hours but he doesn't like to rush so the whole day is booked out. Was a great chap & after seeing him fit alarms (on YouTube) to a number of decent cars, including a couple of GTR's I felt confident in using him.

I personally had it fitted so then I can warm up the car from home, rather then sit in the car on colder days.