The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flashing 3rd Brake Light

jonny248

I've had this unit for a while and had it installed on my Vectra but more recently after the Supra came out of the bodyshop, I decided to install it on there instead.

It seems really affective and very noticeable to the driver behind, certainly catches their eye. The unit is designed so if you're in heavy traffic, it won't flash all the time, it needs 10 secs to reset itself before it flashes again.

I am able to knock a few of these up so if anyone is interested then I'll do it properly and see about becoming a 'hobbyist'.

Opinion guys!!

I've had this unit for a while and had it installed on my Vectra but more recently after the Supra came out of the bodyshop, I decided to install it on there instead.

It seems really affective and very noticeable to the driver behind, certainly catches their eye. The unit is designed so if you're in heavy traffic, it won't flash all the time, it needs 10 secs to reset itself before it flashes again.

I am able to knock a few of these up so if anyone is interested then I'll do it properly and see about becoming a 'hobbyist'.

Opinion guys!!

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what's the flashing brake light used for? Just makes it look like its faulty but that's just opinion mate

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what's the flashing brake light used for? Just makes it look like its faulty but that's just opinion mate

When you press the brakes, it's designed to grab the attention of the driver behind to help eliminate the chances of an accident. From what I've heard, there are some new BMW's already fitted with this unit and I've actually seen how affective they can be.

Ive seen these on some newer cars and thought blimey these guys either have a faulty light unit or a seriously fast right foot. I thought it only happened under harsh braking? Still though, not a bad idea at all mate. How much would you be looking to charge to this kind of thing anyway?

Something different I suppose but I can't help but agree that it looks like your brake light has a fault, maybe different in person though. You could try opening up the pulse width a bit to make it make it look more deliberate if you know what i mean.

Yeh I guess I could look into that, shouldn't take much.

I personally think there just not needed but dangerous, as factory standard vauxhalls for example flash the brake lights when the driver is hard braking warning the people behind there's hard braking going on. Can't see what would be the need to fit this to the car would be? Another thing to add would be how many people will try to tell you your brake light is broke?

I personally think there just not needed but dangerous, as factory standard vauxhalls for example flash the brake lights when the driver is hard braking warning the people behind there's hard braking going on. Can't see what would be the need to fit this to the car would be? Another thing to add would be how many people will try to tell you your brake light is broke?

I initially thought this too, it flashes like that under harsh braking. Something different though i guess

I've never actually had anyone saying 'my brake light is faulty'.... lol.

I think id def be up for this if it flashed like that only when braking under harsh conditions, and on otherwise general braking, it would light up as normal. Wing mirror led's as in like an indicator? Or just for show?

The wing mirror LED's are for indicators as I had the side repeaters removed from the wings, looks nice. As for the brake light only flashing under harsh conditions, I don't see how this can be done on the Supra, I will try and enquire about it though.