The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So this week I re-trimmed the centre of my doorcard..

d-_-b

So the interior I used to have included a red suede, the seats I replaced with recaro's and they had black suede centres so the red looked a little out of place.

I first attempted to dye the suede black on one of the doorcards however this didn't really work as well as I wanted & was a little patchy in places,

so I thought - I wonder if I can recreate the retrimmed suede panels out of the suede I used to retrim my dash panels myself?

- was worth a shot..

So with the assistance of my girlfriend, the retrim attempt & result

(should point out neither of us 'normally, do anything like this like for a job or anything, only thing I have done is my dash prior to this :) )

Thought you all may wanna see how it went;

How they started:

Making the template for the new panel:

Paper template created; this was then placed on the suede and used to make the 'shape' from the suede (leaving excess to allow the edge to be hemmed).

Offering up the suede template agains the doorcard to check how it fits (prior to hemming the edge):

The top and edges were then hemmed to give them a nice edge (this is how the old red retrim looked to have been done, so copied this)

We then cut a 1/2" strip off of the edge of the old retrim & cleaned off the adhesive. The rest of the old retrim would be used to make the new retrim fabric slightly 'spongy' like you get with door cards with fabric in the centre.

Once that was done I used an industrial contact adhesive (after checking how it worked on a test piece) to bond the new fabric to the door (sorry didn't get any pics of this as was a very arquard process making sure the new panel lined up and was glued in the right place).

Anyways after that process and a bit of trimming for screw holes/speaker and reattaching the arm rest it looked like this:

And finished:

All in all I think it came out spot on. Sure this could have all been done by a professional retrimmer, however that not only incurs quite some cost for their time & materials but also it lacks the 'have a go yourself' which I think is pretty rewarding when you sit back and look at the results (if things go right ofc Lool) :)

Edited by d-_-b (see edit history)

Christ dude you have far too much patients! Looks really good though!

However... You have rather long girly nails in 2 of the pics?! Lol! Have you been dressing up? Or does Chelle deserve the credit& you just took pictures??? :rlol:

Seriously though, nice ;) fancy doing some more... In a nice silver :D ?

Will have to pop around in the week have a look?

It's going to look stupid with a red one on the other door though. ;)

:lol: Very true > - The other template has been made, fabric cut, hemmed and it sat on the desk awaiting the glue'ing process to be done ^^, Just awaiting the next dry evening to do the other outside again as the glue is quite strong :faint:

- hopefully should then make a pair :D

b;3472332']:lol: Very true > - The other template has been made, fabric cut, hemmed and it sat on the desk awaiting the glue'ing process to be done ^^, Just awaiting the next dry evening to do the other outside again as the glue is quite strong :faint:

- hopefully should then make a pair :D

:) In all seriousness, the results in the photos look good and all credit to you for DIY-ing something I've not seen DIY'd before. :)

Christ dude you have far too much patients! Looks really good though!

However... You have rather long girly nails in 2 of the pics?! Lol! Have you been dressing up? Or does Chelle deserve the credit& you just took pictures??? :rlol:

Haha :D Thats why I thought I better add credit in my description at the top so im not claiming it all : O lol Looking through the pics the downside of taking pics whilst WIP does make it look as though i'm doing nothing >

Seriously though, nice ;) fancy doing some more... In a nice silver :D ?

Will have to pop around in the week have a look?

Yea would be good to see ya dude,

maybe i'll run a door retrim class - bring your own card and material :lol:

:) In all seriousness, the results in the photos look good and all credit to you for DIY-ing something I've not seen DIY'd before. :)

Cheers Steve :thumbs:

Threads with people doing things themselves always inspire me, so thought as i had done something, like yourself; I hadn't seen documented on here before (sorry to anyone if it has been and i missed the thread) I would post up what was done. Think this is the kind of things that make forums alongside whitty banter and lots of pics :D

Nice job dude

Looking at doing a full retrim on mine soon as I get hold of a sewing machine.

I'll be using leatherette though and doing a "sock" for the whole door card, black and white with red stitching.

Cheers Listy! :)

Hope to see a thread on that dude! & looking forward to seeing how it comes out :thumbs: Things like this I think you learn a lot from trying youself :D

great work fella. If you have the patients and skill (like you obviously have) its much more fulfilling doing it yourself.

Fantastic results. Your car is going to look epic with those trims.

Cheers dude! - Yea am hoping it is another step towards getting the interior finished - driving with no doorcards and no window switches looks a bit naff when people look in >

Will put up some "doorcards in" pics when they are both done and fitted :D

Good work. Am I the only one that thinks the red was nice as well............

I guess it depends on the colour of the car and colour scheme you are going for, but before and after re trimming is nice:)

The red was nice, don't get me wrong.. but as I put in the description at the top, they didnt match anything else on the inside of the car anymore as I haven changed the seats to leather with black suede.. hense the change of colour for the doorcards. :)

It's going to look stupid with a red one on the other door though. ;)

What's with all the mis-spelling f the word patience on this thread?

Seems to be a lot of people misspelling words or using the wrong ones lately which can make reading a post difficult! I have a dictionary loaded so that I cant mispell (but can still use wrong words if spelt correctly though) :innocent:

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work by the way

b;3472366']Cheers Listy! :)

Hope to see a thread on that dude! & looking forward to seeing how it comes out :thumbs: Things like this I think you learn a lot from trying youself :D

No problem mate. Seeing this makes me want to get my ass in gear and get the sewing machine and material, but will have to wait a bit as wheels come first :(

Hmm? Indeed! How dare people be dyslexic or make mistakes!!! :rlol:

So then Chris do we have to start a group for this blue Peter style club, thing? :D

Anyways, get some pics of your car up! Speaks for itself how much time& effort you've put in ;) IMO aesthetically its one of the best supra's!

Lool break out the glue, filler, paint, fiberglass and sticky back plastic all it's Supra DIY time! :D lol

Did pop a couple up of quick ones of her it in the multimedia section a little while ago dude :) somewhere in the realms of page 2 of that section no doubt by now lool

Need to do some proper ones sometime soon of them both I think dude! :)

No problem mate. Seeing this makes me want to get my ass in gear and get the sewing machine and material, but will have to wait a bit as wheels come first :(

Was hoping my thread would inspire a few of the members as reading threads similar does for me :)

But wheels are important! :D plenty of time for other mini projects!

b;3472894']Lool break out the glue, filler, paint, fiberglass and sticky back plastic all it's Supra DIY time! :D lol

Did pop a couple up of quick ones of her it in the multimedia section a little while ago dude :) somewhere in the realms of page 2 of that section no doubt by now lool

Need to do some proper ones sometime soon of them both I think dude! :)

Don't forget the double sided sticky tape& paper mashay! Body panels in the shape of Tracey island for the win! :D

Pics sound good! Quite happy to use my car to make yours look even better :p

Any ideas on locations? Bus stop?... :rlol: