The mkiv Supra Owners Club

widebody? how can i tell for sure?

listy

Right, bit of an odd one here, I'm sure everyone will agree.

I'm also expecting the "how do you NOT know?" comments.

Here goes.

At the Southwest auto show, we came to the conclusion that my front wings are definitely wider than stock. (Border vented wings) Looking at the other supras it was rather obvious.

In one of my other threads, someone said I should get spacers for my rear wheels so they fill the arches.

It wasn't until the other day that I properly stared at them and agreed. Now, these are the same wheels that I had on my old stock bodied NA, and they filled the arches on that perfectly without spacers.

So my question is really, how can I know for sure if my rear arches are wider than stock or not? I don't think they are by looking, but the wheels connundrum just doesn't add up to me.

The only thing I can think of if it is wider at the rear is NUR arches, as it still looks stock.

Any ideas on how I can be sure?

Park another stock bodied Supra side by side & then grab a measuring tape. Also whilst the cars are side by side, tap the bodywork. As mentioned if the arches are fibre glass or even carbon it would make a different noise to the steel.

Option 2 is most some pictures flat on from the rear & we will argue about it on here :D

Get the dimensions of a standard Supra and build two brick pillars that width apart. Drive the car in question between the pillars at speed. If you damage the car, it's a widebody..!!

There should be a disclaimer there for our American friends.... :)

Right never got round to this but just checked my rear offsets. Its +44. iirc the rear offset for stock wants to be +35?

I'm not 100% sure how the offsets work, but I'm presuming the higher the number, the further away from the inner rim the wheel attaches to the hub. Therefore bringing the wheel into the car, and not filling the arches?

So, unfortunately, this means its just the front that is wider. By looking at it from under the arch, around 20mm wider each side :)

So, JDL rear arches are now on the shopping list for the future :D